Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Charli from the North Coast

Working on heel, down, sit. She’ll hold a down or sit stay for over a minute while waiting to be released for food.

Drags are easy for her. She has an outstanding nose and a lot of prey drive. Time to start increasing the distance and vegetation cover.

Hot weather in the forecast so some good water work is in order for the weekend.

A few adult teeth have shown up this week.

IMG_6782.jpeg

Did she follow Finn in? That's what Franklin did. First time at the water, Ruby went after a bumper and he just waded right in and started swimming after her.

@Wild Bill per your request...

Charli got a lot of exposure last fall. She hunted both with Finn, and solo. She quickly demonstrated a very, very fine nose. She would point coveys Finn had missed. Her caution and manners behind game were impeccable, even for a pup.

59690E15-1E38-4A39-B368-D2910D8882D8.jpegB194E1DB-1E60-4B72-B268-0C458F0D9960.jpeg
IMG_0128.jpegIMG_2274.jpegIMG_0113.jpeg

IMG_0195.jpeg
IMG_0342.jpeg
After hunting season ended I began preparing Charli for her VJP test in March. This test highly values the ability of the dog's tracking ability, so I made a trip to southern Idaho to work her on some jackrabbits.

IMG_0448.jpeg

Her test went very well. She didn't do as good as I had hoped, and that was likely my fault in the prep work. That said, she had a great showing.

IMG_0581.jpeg

Now, it was time to start training for the fall natural ability test, the HZP. This test places a huge emphasis on retrieving game, and force fetch is the core of the training.

One thing I learned early in the summer, Charli does not need, nor will she function under the pressure it takes for Finn. At one point, I felt the train was coming off the tracks and I had to evaluate things. The breeder, a good friend of mine, told me "she's a girl dog, she needs to know you love her and are friends". I completely shifted my training approach and we started making some progress.

IMG_1084.jpegIMG_1124.jpegIMG_1129.jpegIMG_1152.jpegIMG_1171.jpeg3EFFE4F0-7452-45EF-8D07-51968BBC29E9.jpegIMG_1212.jpegIMG_1221.jpegIMG_1306.jpeg

Blind retrieves were our nemesis during training. Some days she'd nail it, and others she just appeared to lack confidence. We did a ton of reps, in different water. I thought things were going pretty well, then we had a couple of stumbles. I had to swim her out to get a bumper a week before test day. I almost drowned, I think she believed I was trying to kill her. We did some easy reps a few days later.

IMG_1318.jpegIMG_1320.jpeg

Test day, she hit a walk off grand slam. I would joke and tell people she could fail or she could post a 199 (perfect score). She almost did the latter. She demonstrated desire, cooperation, nose, search, you name it. She absolutely nailed it.

IMG_5299.jpegIMG_5303.jpegIMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

She is a joy to hunt with. She just doesn't miss birds. Her retrieving is improving drastically. She made a couple of advanced level retrieves last week. She has a ways to go to match Finn's retrieving ability, but her use of nose and search are unquestionably better than his.

IMG_1625.jpegIMG_1599.jpegIMG_1528.jpegIMG_1458.jpegIMG_1419.jpeg

Now, it’s hunt a lot. She’s been on three big game recoveries this fall. I think she will be a fabulous blood tracking dog.

I will run her through the two day utility test, the VGP next year. She has some focus and discipline issues I need to clean up. She also needs to get a little stronger for the longer forest drags. Her tracking ability and water work are already on par with dogs older than her.

I will have her x rays done this winter and take her to a breed show in February.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCBLLC
Back