Changing Colors and Bugling Bulls

CPAjeff

Like so many of you, fall is my favorite time of the year. From the cooler weather, providing relief from hot summers, to the changing colors on the mountain, and of course, the bugle of bull elk. After many years of "unsuccessful" emails, I was able to draw an early rifle tag. With tag in hand, horses loaded, and high expectations, we hit the road.

The first casualty of the hunt was this grouse - it stayed around just a little too long when I pulled off a mountain road to check out the spawning kokanee.
2.jpg1.jpg

After a wonderful drive, full of conservation with an incredible individual, we arrived at the trailhead and got the horses loaded. These horses were worth their weight in gold!

3.jpg

What a difference a week can make with changing colors:

4.jpg5.jpg

After a long ride, through some absolutely gorgeous country, we made it to the intended campsite. Horses were unloaded, camp was set, horses were fed and watered for the evening, and the sounds of rutting elk could be heard in all directions - it was nearly impossible to sleep. Knowing that in a few short hours, opening morning would be here.

6.jpg

The alarm sounded and my 2024 elk hunting season was officially open! Having heard numerous bulls sounding off during the night, a plan was made to hike across the valley and into a thick small canyon. The bull, making his home in that little canyon, had been bugling nonstop since our arrival into the valley. With headlamps on, the trek began. Good time was made and waiting in the dark, for the sun to illuminate the landscape was absolutely brutal! Finally, enough light filtered through the sky and the sneak-in began. Through the timbered cuts and open hillside, numerous cow elk were spotted within 300 yards, but the bull refused to show himself. A path was chosen that would lead to the side of an open meadow/clearing, as we neared the meadow, the bull let out a series of bugles that seemed to shake the mountain. When I first laid eyes on him, it was a surreal moment. There he was, the bull I'd been thinking about since the draw results came out, standing in the sunshine, illuminated. At 117 yards (ranged after the fact), the bull was broadside and with a little pressure on the trigger, the sound of the rifle followed by the sound of the bullet hitting home could be heard. The bull hobbled over to the tree line and required a finishing shot. The 156 Berger EOL was found on the offside shoulder.

7.jpg8.jpg

The bull was quartered up, left to cool, and horses were brought over later to pack him out. Plus, a pic of the goodies!

9.jpg10.jpg

More days were spent in the backcountry, simply enjoying the peacefulness which only the mountain can provide. In summary, I spent a week hanging out with some incredible people, in some of the most gorgeous country that exists, chasing one of the greatest animals in the West. It was an experience worth waiting for, and I can't wait to do it again. Words simply don't do it justice.

It's so nice to have a wonderful welcoming home crowd! I still can't get this kid to put any curve to his hats . . .

12.jpg11.jpg

Best of luck to everyone on their 2024 hunts!

Congratulations

So great to be successful on your first day to hunt, but it’s kinda bittersweet as there is no/little Type II fun to reminisce about later.

Was your tag the only tag in camp?

Like so many of you, fall is my favorite time of the year. From the cooler weather, providing relief from hot summers, to the changing colors on the mountain, and of course, the bugle of bull elk. After many years of "unsuccessful" emails, I was able to draw an early rifle tag. With tag in hand, horses loaded, and high expectations, we hit the road.

The first casualty of the hunt was this grouse - it stayed around just a little too long when I pulled off a mountain road to check out the spawning kokanee.
View attachment 342381View attachment 342379

After a wonderful drive, full of conservation with an incredible individual, we arrived at the trailhead and got the horses loaded. These horses were worth their weight in gold!

View attachment 342384

What a difference a week can make with changing colors:

View attachment 342385View attachment 342386

After a long ride, through some absolutely gorgeous country, we made it to the intended campsite. Horses were unloaded, camp was set, horses were fed and watered for the evening, and the sounds of rutting elk could be heard in all directions - it was nearly impossible to sleep. Knowing that in a few short hours, opening morning would be here.

View attachment 342387

The alarm sounded and my 2024 elk hunting season was officially open! Having heard numerous bulls sounding off during the night, a plan was made to hike across the valley and into a thick small canyon. The bull, making his home in that little canyon, had been bugling nonstop since our arrival into the valley. With headlamps on, the trek began. Good time was made and waiting in the dark, for the sun to illuminate the landscape was absolutely brutal! Finally, enough light filtered through the sky and the sneak-in began. Through the timbered cuts and open hillside, numerous cow elk were spotted within 300 yards, but the bull refused to show himself. A path was chosen that would lead to the side of an open meadow/clearing, as we neared the meadow, the bull let out a series of bugles that seemed to shake the mountain. When I first laid eyes on him, it was a surreal moment. There he was, the bull I'd been thinking about since the draw results came out, standing in the sunshine, illuminated. At 117 yards (ranged after the fact), the bull was broadside and with a little pressure on the trigger, the sound of the rifle followed by the sound of the bullet hitting home could be heard. The bull hobbled over to the tree line and required a finishing shot. The 156 Berger EOL was found on the offside shoulder.

View attachment 342391View attachment 342392

The bull was quartered up, left to cool, and horses were brought over later to pack him out. Plus, a pic of the goodies!

View attachment 342393View attachment 342394

More days were spent in the backcountry, simply enjoying the peacefulness which only the mountain can provide. In summary, I spent a week hanging out with some incredible people, in some of the most gorgeous country that exists, chasing one of the greatest animals in the West. It was an experience worth waiting for, and I can't wait to do it again. Words simply don't do it justice.

It's so nice to have a wonderful welcoming home crowd! I still can't get this kid to put any curve to his hats . . .

View attachment 342396View attachment 342397

Best of luck to everyone on their 2024 hunts!
Congratulations!

Back