Changes proposed to Idaho landowner/private land tags

Paul in Idaho

I just found this and am starting to read the documents:

Idaho Department of Fish and Game (Department) proposes changes to the current Landowner Appreciation Program (LAP) and the creation of a new Private Land Tags (PLT) program for landowners who own more than 5,000 acres of important wildlife habitat within a Game Management Unit or a Control Hunt Area

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/about/?getPage=33 has links to several documents and a public comment form.

From who/what/where did this idea originate?

I haven't read much yet, but here's what I found so far:

In 1987 Landowner Preference Permit was started... 1998 Elk Management Plan eliminated 65 of the 75 LPP hunts... landowners threatened to prohibit access ... Fish and Game Advisory Committee (FGAC) was charged with recommending changes ... new rules in 1999 ... "reasonable access" requirement was troublesome and Commission eliminated it in 2001 ... continued debate on definition and link to tags ... January 2007 pilot project in Magic Valley region used tags as compensation for access; program discontinued July 2007 due to lack of landowner interest ... In 2009, Director Groen established an internal Department Committee to review the LAP program and make recommendations ... internal report was provided to ISCAC and the FGAC ... IDFG did survey ... Commission adopted LAP changes July 2010 to clarify 3 long-standing issues 1) clarify prohibition of sale of LAP tags 2) inequitable distribution of tags among eligible landowners 3) provide recognition of habitat provided by small landowners ... changes approved by 2011 Legislature ...

That's what I have gathered so far from the first few pages of a 52-page document at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/negotiatedRules/lapHistoryStatus.pdf My guess from that is the 2010 survey is the catalyst for the proposal. There's a detailed review of the survey results on pages 6,7 of that document, under the title Recent LAP Rule Changes.

---
edit:
From the FAQ document:
Q. Why the proposed changes to the Landowner Appreciation Program (LAP)?
A. LAP was originally developed to provide landowners who owned at least 640 acres in big game controlled hunt units an enhanced opportunity to draw tags in appreciation of the fact that they provided habitat for animals throughout all or part of the year. Those who owned at least 5,000 acres were given an extra chance to draw up to two tags. Five thousand acres was the upper acreage limit in the program.
The new PLT program provides larger landowners an opportunity to have certainty in drawing tags every year, and also provides for additional tags for larger acreages. The tags must be utilized on their own private property and the landowner will be required to submit a depredation release agreement and harvest management agreement as part of their annual application.

Last edited:
I hate that these tags could essentially privatize up to 10% of the already tough to get controlled hunt tags. But I like that the landowner must sign a depredation release, the tags can't be sold, and that they must provide a harvest management agreement that creates additional hunting opportunities for non PLT participants.

But I like that the landowner must sign a depredation release, the tags can't be sold, and that they must provide a harvest management agreement that creates additional hunting opportunities for non PLT participants.

This seems reasonable to me. Also sounds reasonable since the tags must be used on their own land.

If the landowner is going to provide access for others in return for getting these tags, it is creating some more opportunity for non-landowners if it is in a unit that has little public hunting available. Perhaps the tag allocation can be increased if a good number of landowners participate in the program?

the tags can't be sold

Big difference between "can't" and not supposed to be. It happens every year and I know of 1 first hand last season.

IDnative, I wasn't thinking of any with connections at the time but it is easy to figure out who you are talking about.

Making them hunt their own property is a start. Too many landowners transferring tags to their 'friends' who then pay them a 10K trespass fee and never set foot on those lands.

I'm pretty leary about the Private Land Tags. Last thing Idaho needs is to turn into little Utah or Colorado with the privatization of public wildlife. I'll keep my mouth shut (most the way) until I finish reading the whole proposal. Right now it smells bad to me.........

A handful of years ago SFW's very own Nate Helm wrote the legislation to force IDFG to make payments to private landowners for depredation costs - when those private landowners don't allow 1 ounce of access. Typical.
They were also instrumental in proposing the original LAP program and still try to have their money grubby paws in the mix. Come on Idaho, keep the wolves at bay!!!

-Cade

I made 2 overall comments on these changes. For the PLT's, which guarantee tags to landowners, but require a Harvest management agreement that describes access, harvest strategy etc. of the landowner, I commented that some form of free public access must be required if the public is going to guarantee these guys tags every year. Not unlimited access, but maybe if they get two tags for themselves, then 2 general public hunters (randomly selected or something) also get to hunt on the land, for free. Or, if they have land that landlocks public land, an easement for all hunters to access the public ground??

I like the idea that these guys getting tags also have to release the department from damage claims...its pretty unfair that some of these guys have been getting LAP permits, not letting any public hunters in, and then file damage complaints when elk/deer etc. come eat their crops or damage fences.

At the end of the day though, I am not too keen on the idea of expanded privatization of wildlife...but if it results in greater cooperation/access with large landowners maybe its a win-win. ???

Oh and on the sale of tags...I made a similar comment as some above...continue to prohibit the sale of these tags, and end this loophole where they charge a trespass fee yet "give" the tag away. No fee of any kind should be collected for tags the state GIVES them. If a landowner wants to charge a trespass fee for hunts/hunters that do not get a PLT/LAP tag...that is their perogative...but no profiting off of these PLT/LAP tags and give them a lifetime ban from the LAP/PLT program if they are found to violate this rule.

I hope everybody realizes that this is on top of the landowner appreciation tags. So now we would essentially have two programs giving landowners tags. Plus the regular draw.
What we need to do is get fish & game to replace the landowner appreciation tag draw with the private land tag draw.
The one concern I have with the private land draw idea is would this provoke more land owners to deny access to the public?
With that said I do like the proposed changes to the LAP program. Its a step in the right direction.

No more tags! They can put in with the rest of us! I am tired of sitting in the back of the buss and drinking from separate water fountains. F&g must see me as a second class citizen.
When a landowner calls f&g with a depredation complaint the first thing they should hear is (I am sorry to hear that are you a member of our access yes program?) If they answer (no) describe how to become a member to them and hang up. If they say (yes) then we should spend time and resources attempting to solve the problem.

When a landowner calls f&g with a depredation complaint the first thing they should hear is (I am sorry to hear that are you a member of our access yes program?) If they answer (no) describe how to become a member to them and hang up. If they say (yes) then we should spend time and resources attempting to solve the problem.

Amen!

I have had to work so much overtime the past few months I never had a chance to dig into this further.

They are now entering the negotiated rulemaking phase. See http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/media/viewNewsRelease.cfm?newsID=7136

Fish and Game's Landowner Appreciation Program (LAP) currently allocates a proportion of controlled hunt tags to a lottery draw specifically for landowners who provide important habitat for deer, elk, and pronghorn in units where general hunting is limited. Landowners who draw authorization for a control hunt tag can designate the tag to another individual.

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game recently initiated negotiated rulemaking to gather public input about revising the Landowner Appreciation Program due to landowner and sportsman concerns with the program. IDFG is presenting a revised draft of LAP rules for comment in upcoming negotiated rule meetings.

Under the proposed changes, allocation of control hunt tags would be guaranteed and more directly related to the amount of habitat for deer, elk or pronghorn provided by each landowner. Additional tags would also be issued to landowners who sign access agreements, habitat management agreements or depredation release agreements.

Fish and Game is also considering limiting where certain recipients of the tags can hunt; currently any recipient can use the tags in any part of a hunt area in which a landowner has drawn a LAP tag. Under the new LAP proposal, direct family members and employees of the landowner would continue to have this opportunity. However, landowners may also market and sell the LAP designation. Hunters who have purchased LAP tags and are not related to or employed by the landowner would be limited to private land within the hunt area.

Fish and Game will hold negotiated rule public meetings to receive input about the proposed changes at the following times and locations:

- May 22, 2014, 6-9 pm, Upper Snake Regional Fish and Game Office, 4279 Commerce Circle, Idaho Falls, ID 83401

- May 27, 2014, 6-9 pm, Southeast Regional Fish and Game Office, 1345 Barton Road, Pocatello, ID 83204

- May 29, 2014, 6-9 pm, Magic Valley Regional Fish and Game Office, 324 South 417 East - Suite 1, Jerome, ID 83338

- June 3, 2014, 6-9 pm, Clearwater Regional Fish and Game Office, 3316 16th St., Lewiston, ID 83501

- June 4, 2014, 6-9 pm, Southwest Regional Fish and Game Office, 3101 S. Powerline Rd., Nampa, ID 83686

If you are unable to attend a meeting, you can read the full proposal and provide comments by visiting the IDFG webpage: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/about/?getPage=33.

Online comments will be accepted from May 19 to June 6.

---
edit - looks like 6speed already posted about this at http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=259010

Last edited:
I got the same information in an email from a friend of mine that lives in Montana.

He told me that SFW was behind this whole thing...I know, real shock there.

This is the reason why SFW needs to go away, they have no concern for the average sportsmen...

I dont know if its too late, but you guys in Idaho need to organize and stop this if you can.

Let me know if I can help with letters, phone calls, etc.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back