Advertisement

California ptarmigan

Oyyy. I guess people just have to argue.

Yes. It's bad. Can't say I've ever hunted chukar in stuff that bad. Anyone I have ever known avoid that type of country.

Lamoille Canyon in NV for the snowcock.

In the photo above... think birds more flighty than chukar dropping off the cliff and going to the river. It would take quite a dedicated person to be able to use a dog from the top, jump the bird and make it to where they land, with a dog and get there before the birds are gone, and not get the human or dog hurt.
It's definitely not for the faint of heart. But my dogs have been a helluva lot more capable than I've ever been.

And no, I'm not hunting my dog here:
1694466010777.png
At least, I don't think so.

Third year hunting them and second being successful.

With my first child due in just over a week, my wife—being the amazing woman she is—let me slip away for a quick two-day hunt. This is my third year chasing white-tailed ptarmigan, and after last year’s success, I wanted to get back out there, and chase those high alpine birds.

Day one started early. Left the house at 4 a.m., made the long drive, and got to the mountain at about 10 a.m. I knew this would be tough, most of the hiking would be between 10,000 and 12,000 feet. Thirteen miles later, exhausted and without a single bird sighting, we headed back to camp and crashed hard.

Day two, we were back at it around 8:30 or 9:00 a.m., hoping for better luck. We were back into the wilderness about 8 or so miles, and still striking out other than a feather and some droppings. Then,l the weather started to turn, thunder, snow we were again packing it in.

That’s when we stumbled on a covey of ptarmigan , and just like that, the hard miles melted away. A few shots later, Nellie and I had our two bird limit. It was an incredible feeling—especially after 28 miles of hiking for me, and about 45 miles for Nellie.

This upland hunt isn’t for most, but for me, the white-tailed ptarmigan represents the GOAT of upland species. The challenge, the terrain, the miles—it all makes the reward that much better. Stoked to have gotten it done two years in a row. We’re smoked and an our way home to wait for the biggest challenge ever, being a father!

Attachments

• IMG_5290.jpeg
    IMG_5290.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5289.jpeg
    IMG_5289.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Third year hunting them and second being successful.

With my first child due in just over a week, my wife—being the amazing woman she is—let me slip away for a quick two-day hunt. This is my third year chasing white-tailed ptarmigan, and after last year’s success, I wanted to get back out there, and chase those high alpine birds.

Day one started early. Left the house at 4 a.m., made the long drive, and got to the mountain at about 10 a.m. I knew this would be tough, most of the hiking would be between 10,000 and 12,000 feet. Thirteen miles later, exhausted and without a single bird sighting, we headed back to camp and crashed hard.

Day two, we were back at it around 8:30 or 9:00 a.m., hoping for better luck. We were back into the wilderness about 8 or so miles, and still striking out other than a feather and some droppings. Then,l the weather started to turn, thunder, snow we were again packing it in.

That’s when we stumbled on a covey of ptarmigan , and just like that, the hard miles melted away. A few shots later, Nellie and I had our two bird limit. It was an incredible feeling—especially after 28 miles of hiking for me, and about 45 miles for Nellie.

This upland hunt isn’t for most, but for me, the white-tailed ptarmigan represents the GOAT of upland species. The challenge, the terrain, the miles—it all makes the reward that much better. Stoked to have gotten it done two years in a row. We’re smoked and an our way home to wait for the biggest challenge ever, being a father!
If you get the itch too bad, head to Alaska, such a fun species to hunt. I went out to the Aleutian islands for caribou one year and in the slow times got us dinner

20150103_094443.jpeg20150103_094435.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back