Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CA screws you tax

Redmt

Yesterday the new California "we're going to screw you tax" went into effect. It's an additional 11% tax on guns and ammo to help with firearms education and to keep criminals from buying guns,,,,, Anyway, last night my wife says " too bad you didn't buy anything before the new tax went into effect". Somehow I think I missed an opportunity to add to the collection.

When the Peoples Republic of Portland started pushing the anti hunting, no guns like CA. I told my wife I need to get a couple guns before I cant get them. She went along and agreed.

Fast forward, she comes to me and tells me shes ready for a new diamond stud earnings and not the "little ones", "you know before you cant get them". I told her you dont even wear them all the time and you have other ones. She told me "so do all the other guns you never shoot in your safe"

Make sure you get a couple good guns. 1 carat earrings are not inexpensive. Never saw it coming.

Wife's are so much ahead of us.

When Newsome was buying votes to keep from being recalled during Covid he was sending out debit cards. We got a $700 card and I told my wife that I should use it to buy a handgun just because. I don’t need a handgun but just the thought of it brought a smile to my face.
My wife used it for gas.

Yesterday the new California "we're going to screw you tax" went into effect. It's an additional 11% tax on guns and ammo to help with firearms education and to keep criminals from buying guns,,,,, Anyway, last night my wife says " too bad you didn't buy anything before the new tax went into effect". Somehow I think I missed an opportunity to add to the collection.
Sounds like a missed opportunity. To add insult to injury, the gas tax got bumped up again the same day.

When the Peoples Republic of Portland started pushing the anti hunting, no guns like CA. I told my wife I need to get a couple guns before I cant get them. She went along and agreed.

Fast forward, she comes to me and tells me shes ready for a new diamond stud earnings and not the "little ones", "you know before you cant get them". I told her you dont even wear them all the time and you have other ones. She told me "so do all the other guns you never shoot in your safe"

Make sure you get a couple good guns. 1 carat earrings are not inexpensive. Never saw it coming.

Wife's are so much ahead of us.
My wife never cared for jewelry. I guess I'm lucky in that sense. When I tell her that I want something I get a yes, no or do what you want. Interpretation, yes, go ahead we have the money. No means try again later, do what you want means if I have the money in my pocket go ahead and get it.

What happens if you buy a long gun or ammo in a contiguous state?
When California passed the law a few years ago banning online purchases of ammo and requiring background check for ammo it also included a section about limiting the amount of ammo you can bring back into California as well. I can’t remember what that qty was but it was really low like 40-50 if I remember Correctly

My wife never cared for jewelry. I guess I'm lucky in that sense. When I tell her that I want something I get a yes, no or do what you want. Interpretation, yes, go ahead we have the money. No means try again later, do what you want means if I have the money in my pocket go ahead and get it.
My wife is pretty much the same. Makes life simple, to a point... ;)

What happens if you buy a long gun or ammo in a contiguous state?
As a resident of one of those contiguous state who also USED TO hunt and shoot in Cali the law reads as follows:

Yes you can buy ammunition out of state and bring it into California, BUT you must ship it to a licensed California ammunition vendor first. The vendor will perform a background check and then return the ammunition to you. The vendor can charge any fee they want for this service.
It is also illegal to transport ammunition into California from another state on your own. If you are caught with ammunition that was not purchased legally in California, you could face misdemeanor or felony charges and be pulled over for an extended roadside stop by the CHP.
California requires a background check every time someone buys ammunition

Don't forget the credit card company requirements starting up in Cali too. They are required to report gun/ammo purchases to the state by labeling them with a certain purchase code.

Wait, so if you go on a hunting trip to CA you can't bring your own ammo?
We dont have equal 2A rights with the rest of the country.

As a resident of one of those contiguous state who also USED TO hunt and shoot in Cali the law reads as follows:

Yes you can buy ammunition out of state and bring it into California, BUT you must ship it to a licensed California ammunition vendor first. The vendor will perform a background check and then return the ammunition to you. The vendor can charge any fee they want for this service.
It is also illegal to transport ammunition into California from another state on your own. If you are caught with ammunition that was not purchased legally in California, you could face misdemeanor or felony charges and be pulled over for an extended roadside stop by the CHP.
California requires a background check every time someone buys ammunition
Or you say the ammo in question was purchased long before any laws were enacted. This law will be thrown out on the grounds of interfering with interstate commerce in which the state law is superseded by federal law.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregmilly27
Back