Bucket list.....

I had a lengthy conversation with AK DFG about this and yes it is legal to collect dead heads on the beach. Obviously you can’t kill them. However, a fossilized specimen of any species is illegal to collect. Makes no sense.
Any good repro sources?

Any good repro sources?
I’ve had reproductions on my eBay watch list for years waiting for a good deal. They typically run about $1,200 + shipping.
Whenever a previously owned one would turn up it would sell in auction not much cheaper than a new one.
Finally a new one turned up for cheap at a Buy it Now price that was just under $200 including shipping from Australia.

IMG_8903.jpeg

I had a lengthy conversation with AK DFG about this and yes it is legal to collect dead heads on the beach. Obviously you can’t kill them. However, a fossilized specimen of any species is illegal to collect. Makes no sense.
Interesting - There were posters on the wall of the Bethel, AK airport terminal warning non-natives not to remove any ivory found in the wild. I haven't been through Bethel since 2019.

Interesting - There were posters on the wall of the Bethel, AK airport terminal warning non-natives not to remove any ivory found in the wild. I haven't been through Bethel since 2019.
There are you tube videos of guys flying the beaches looking for skulls, then landing and picking them up.

Not disagreeing - Just saying what I saw. Lots of agencies in play?
Maybe it has to do with being on native corporation lands? Those signs would only apply to the local Kuskokwim River delta
Yeah I'm not sure what the requirements are. Looks likes USFWS has permits for it though.

Back