British Columbia Moose

Nice write up and great moose!

Dustin is a friend of mine and I did a similar hunt up there two years ago so I have a couple questions:

What camp were you hunting out of?

Hope you were happy with your hunt overall? I think those guys do a great job. I did the Cassiar moose/caribou hunt two years ago and did a Dall sheep hunt in the Ceaser Lake last year.

Congrats on some really good shooting and excellent hunt preparation. You were ready for this one!
I won't name the camp but we were on the far western end of his concession so you can probably guess which one it was if you can recall his concession map at his main lodge.

I really enjoyed my hunt with Dustin's crew. Both Tim and Lasse were great guys and did an outstanding job. They worked their tails off the entire trip. I did tell Dustin he really needed to keep these guys on for next year if at all possible. I would also recommend Dustin's outfit to anyone considering a similar trip. Hopefully Randy will forgive this one plug.

Day 7: Hunt Day 6, Part 2

I'll wrap up this hunting day by saying that it took us the rest of the day to quarter out, partially debone (hind quarters only), and cape out the moose; get it hauled over to where the horses were; and ride back to camp. If I recall correctly, it was 6 or 6:30 in the evening by the time we made it back. Lasse ended up hiking back the entire trip with the moose head/antlers on his shoulders as the pack horses were too skittish about having a set of antlers on their back. Major chops to him for doing that. I will also say that Pickles ended up packing the head/antlers, plus a fair amount of meat, out the next day with absolutely no issues. I don't think anything fazes that horse.

For those that may be asking, here is picture of Tim and Lasse in camp. Tim is on the left, Lasse on the right. I hope they don't mind having their faces shown publicly. Apologies for the smoke in the image.
1729034480584.png

Dinner was moose backstrap with a mushroom, onion, bacon, and cream sauce. It had to be the best steak I've ever eaten. Bar none.

And as a final note, we hung the meat in the trees close to camp and hoped no grizzlies came calling. I hung the tenderloins in a separate small bag, above three other bags, and as high as I could reach as the last bag to be hung up. The following morning, we went and looked to see if anything had disturbed the meat. At first glance, everything looked good so we went about packing up camp and getting ready to load up the horses. The last task was to pack the meat into the pack boxes and get them squared away on the horses. Pulling down the tenderloins, it was clear some critter had been chewing on the bag as there were several ragged holes. Looking inside, one whole tenderloin was gone. We looked for tracks and found signs that a pine martin (most likely) had paid us a visit during the night and made off with the choicest cut. I guess that was my payment back to Mother Nature for a successful hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lknight
Back