Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bozeman: is it really that bad anymore?

Belgrade, just west of Bozeman, is growing as fast, maybe faster, than Bozo. The school student population is burgeoning and a new elementary school is direly needed, but the recent bond levy failed, due to the recent escalation of property taxes, IMO. School financial needs are discriminated against as that is the only tax bill on which you may vote with a NO to school funding. If more money is needed for roads, weed control, snow plow trucks, county employee wage increases ... or whatever, the tax bill is just increased, with no voice and no way to object by the property tax payer.

The $1,150 tax rebate is a joke. It's a poor token of sympathy for the poor folk from Gov G and the legislature, Ds and Rs, as an acknowledgement that the property tax system has been fornicated to the point of putting poor Kurt on the street with his new sign that says, "Urban camping for life."
Many things contributed to what is happening in parts of Montana. Pisses me off when a long time resident is criticized for having a negative view of the current situation. mtmuley

Many things contributed to what is happening in parts of Montana. Pisses me off when a long time resident is criticized for having a negative view of the current situation. mtmuley
Parallel = Montana resident hunter critiques for our recent and future generations.

The system is screwed up. Not just here, but throughout the nation. All of us eventually will be taxed or if our homes.

We are retired. We purposely bought a small home in the poorest part of town because we were planning for the long haul. We are praying that 20 years from now we can afford the taxes. It will be our biggest expense. Retirees that built their dream homes are screwed under the current system. It is not sustainable.

Agree! Something needs to be done before people moving in blow out homeowners of past values.
Interesting, Busse. Good bump for his interest as Gov

This true?
This seems like an ad made by the new guy who wants the Gov job saying "Look what the last guy did to you". It doesn't sound plausible without a rezoning from ag to residential, but details are lacking. Hard to feel terribly sorry for the guy because at 68 he has to work to supplement his government check to pay the property taxes. He clearly didn't save for retirement and 25 years ago would have said "I will work 'til I die" or some other inspirational phrase. I also don't have much sympathy for his attachment due to "sentimental value". Sell the property and move to Miles City.

MT should try one of the various genius ideas floating around on a flat tax or sales tax. Let us know how the experiment works out.

MT should try one of the various genius ideas floating around on a flat tax or sales tax.
Bingo! There are many of us who opposed sales tax forever, who now realize the benefits. The Governor recently appointed a committee to address the property tax problems. First thing he told them at the initial meeting was that sales tax was off the table. Don't even discuss it. Fortunately, some did bring it up anyway.
The trick will be to figure out an equitable and viable tax system revision that doesn't introduce new and additional taxation. What's needed is more fair revenue acquiring taxes and tax relief for us poor folks.

The trick will be to figure out an equitable and viable tax system revision that doesn't introduce new and additional taxation. What's needed is more fair revenue acquiring taxes and tax relief for us poor folks.
The article shows that the flaw in property taxes in that it is a tax on an illiquid asset. Without some other income, it can't be paid. I feel more sorry for the teachers that continue to be underpaid, the police and fire that have unfilled positions (including FWP) due to pay, and the rural people who generally have terrible emergency response services. This is all due to lack of funding. We have seen a move to everyone wanting top-level service but wanting to pay bargain-basement taxes. Good luck fixing any of it. Start by never using the word 'equitable' because it doesn't have a meaning. Those with money think they pay too much and those without money give stories on how hard it is and how "the system" is broken. Hence the mess we are in.

Belgrade, just west of Bozeman, is growing as fast, maybe faster, than Bozo. The school student population is burgeoning and a new elementary school is direly needed, but the recent bond levy failed, due to the recent escalation of property taxes, IMO. School financial needs are discriminated against as that is the only tax bill on which you may vote with a NO to school funding. If more money is needed for roads, weed control, snow plow trucks, county employee wage increases ... or whatever, the tax bill is just increased, with no voice and no way to object by the property tax payer.

The $1,150 tax rebate is a joke. It's a poor token of sympathy for the poor folk from Gov G and the legislature, Ds and Rs, as an acknowledgement that the property tax system has been fornicated to the point of putting poor Kurt on the street with his new sign that says, "Urban camping for life."
Belgrade never passes bonds. They would rather put money into the race track

The article shows that the flaw in property taxes in that it is a tax on an illiquid asset. Without some other income, it can't be paid. I feel more sorry for the teachers that continue to be underpaid, the police and fire that have unfilled positions (including FWP) due to pay, and the rural people who generally have terrible emergency response services. This is all due to lack of funding. We have seen a move to everyone wanting top-level service but wanting to pay bargain-basement taxes. Good luck fixing any of it. Start by never using the word 'equitable' because it doesn't have a meaning. Those with money think they pay too much and those without money give stories on how hard it is and how "the system" is broken. Hence the mess we are in.
I'm going to send my adjusted property tax bill in at the end of the month. mtmuley

Belgrade never passes bonds. They would rather put money into the race track
Yep. Why is it that "sin" taxes in Montana seem to do quite well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back