Kenetrek Boots

Blue Grouse in Wyoming

Handlebar

Anyone know anything about these grouse in the Medicine Bow mountains?

They generally fly straight up into the nearest tree when you flush them on the ground. Easy pickins.

Judo points and flu flu arrows, or a suppressed .22 would be about perfect for 'em.

Spent plenty of time throwing sticks at my arrows stuck in trees while elk hunting.
One of the tastiest birds out there too.

They do like old, open clear cuts too.

Judo points and flu flu arrows, or a suppressed .22 would be about perfect for 'em.

Spent plenty of time throwing sticks at my arrows stuck in trees while elk hunting.
One of the tastiest birds out there too.

They do like old, open clear cuts too.
That was what I was wondering. I had always heard that they tasted like pine needles

I had always heard that they tasted like pine needles
Later in the year when evergreens are 90% of their diet they get a little 'spruce-y' - especially big males in their 2nd or 3rd year.

This time of year (particularly with the boomer berry and grasshopper crops this year), they're almost sweet. I taste-tested a bird-of-the-year on Sunday afternoon and it was delicious.

Never had one that tastes like pine needles but we hunt them in Sept usually.
They like dandelions along with huckleberries and such.

Oddly they go up in climate later in winter, up the mountain.

When they spook at your feet just keep an eye on where they land. Usually they won't go far and will be ten feet up in a conifer tree. They feel safer there, so it is easier to get a shot.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back