Blood trail for elk

Example would be to make frank kluesner look bad. With funds and jail rosters. Average inmate 12 to 15. They made it 20 to 25. Charging or arrested a ton of people. Some deserve it. Some victims of politics. To make frank look bad. But some people spend alot of time in jail. County budgets. Don't happen right now. Happened with politics

Just saying they ruined alot of people's lives for nothing. People that worked there and others. With no accountability

Also keep in mind that, other things being equal, a bullet designed to open at low velocity (long range) can open VERY rapidly at high velocity (short range). Nothing wrong with quick expansion—it kills just fine—but a fully-expanded bullet has a very unpredictable path inside the animal, which in turn makes it a bit less likely to exit in a predictable place.
I had a hunter shooting 139 GR ballistic tips from his 7mm STW. This was when these bullets first came out and I think they are better now. I called in a 6pt bull in heavy timber that was not able to be seen until it was 14 yds away stepping out from behind a big Ponderosa pine. He hit it right on the point of the shoulder. I told him to shoot again as it was still not only standing but bugling. He shot it again behind the shoulder- nothing but ribs. As the bull was still standing I told him to shoot again. He said "But I just hit it twice in the chest". I said shoot it again. He did and hit it high breaking the back and down went the bull. While butchering I found that the first shot had not even entered the chest cavity but blew up in the shoulder breaking the scapula but not the shoulder joint. The second shot would have done it as it jellied the lungs but did not exit. The last shot was to follow my rule of shooting until they hit the ground.

Had another fellow on a whiletail deer hunt. He was shooting a 338 Win Mag. He was also shooting the then new Ballistic Tips. We stalked to about 200 yds from the buck and he chose to shoot it while it was still bedded. The bullet entered just in front of the left shoulder and blew up as it took a path parallel with the ribs. No fragments entered the rib cage but the shock was significant enough that the sack surrounding the heart (paracadium) was full of blood stopping the heart. Cardiac tampenod. Bullets do crazy things inside an animal.

Both animals in this answer died right there even with poor bullet performance. Just because an animal died does not always indicate good bullet construction.

I had a hunter shooting 139 GR ballistic tips from his 7mm STW. This was when these bullets first came out and I think they are better now. I called in a 6pt bull in heavy timber that was not able to be seen until it was 14 yds away stepping out from behind a big Ponderosa pine. He hit it right on the point of the shoulder. I told him to shoot again as it was still not only standing but bugling. He shot it again behind the shoulder- nothing but ribs. As the bull was still standing I told him to shoot again. He said "But I just hit it twice in the chest". I said shoot it again. He did and hit it high breaking the back and down went the bull. While butchering I found that the first shot had not even entered the chest cavity but blew up in the shoulder breaking the scapula but not the shoulder joint. The second shot would have done it as it jellied the lungs but did not exit. The last shot was to follow my rule of shooting until they hit the ground.

Had another fellow on a whiletail deer hunt. He was shooting a 338 Win Mag. He was also shooting the then new Ballistic Tips. We stalked to about 200 yds from the buck and he chose to shoot it while it was still bedded. The bullet entered just in front of the left shoulder and blew up as it took a path parallel with the ribs. No fragments entered the rib cage but the shock was significant enough that the sack surrounding the heart (paracadium) was full of blood stopping the heart. Cardiac tampenod. Bullets do crazy things inside an animal.

Both animals in this answer died right there even with poor bullet performance. Just because an animal died does not always indicate good bullet construction.

I would bet the STW was too fast with that bullet...

I've seen cow elk run off apparently uninjured after a 300 WSM went through the chest and sprayed a cloud of blood out the back side (thankfully my buddy was eventually able to sneak in for another shot and put her down - lots of damage to the lungs but you certainly couldn't tell from her behavior).

Many of us have stories like this, even with "big" chamberings, although everyone seems to forget them entirely when arguing about which cartridges are "big enough" for elk, in which case similar stories are offered as proof of the inadequacy of smaller cartridges.

Elk are tough, and there's a lot of wisdom to the "If they're standing, I'm shooting" mindset.

Not sure where the boiler plate on an elk is, however, I always try to hit the lungs. An animal hit in the lungs at less than 400 yards with a Nosler Partition or TTSX is a very dead animal. At least from a 30/06 or something similar. I’ll bet a .280 AI would be just as effective or more so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmspharmd
Back