Blood trail for elk

williaada

Does anyone has suggestion for a bullet that will produce a decent blood trail after hitting an elk in the boiler plate? I have used a Barnes TTSX and killed a couple of cow elk. The elk died within my view. This year I am hunting in a more timbered area, and am concerned there will be little blood to trail the animal.

Id suspect thered be a better blood trail with copper? I would argue more damage is > blood trail and bergers, eldx, and ablr are good at that...

I cant imagine a well hit animal making it very far, never have in my experience regardless of caliber/bullet.

There’s no guaranteed blood trail on an elk, but if your bullet makes a good wound channel in the right place they’re not going to go far. I’ve had both the 168 and 180 TTSX not exit out of a .300 win mag. Both bullets did a lot of damage and neither bull made it out of sight. If I had to pick one bullet for elk for the rest of my life it would be an Accubond.

Does anyone has suggestion for a bullet that will produce a decent blood trail after hitting an elk in the boiler plate? I have used a Barnes TTSX and killed a couple of cow elk. The elk died within my view. This year I am hunting in a more timbered area, and am concerned there will be little blood to trail the animal.
Are we talking about a 243 Winchester or a 300 RUM here?

Depends on where the bullet hits the animal. Low in the chest will drain the blood out rapidly. High in the chest, the lungs may be shot and the animal is dead, but until the blood flow hits the outlet hole, you won't have much blood to follow. Poke a hole in the bottom of a full bucket of water and it will empty right out, hit it at the waterline and you won't get much water to come out.

30-06, 180 grain accubond at 330 yards, best blood trail I’ve had. IMG_1264.jpeg

Back