Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Blisters

As others have said - Leuko tape. Game changer for me was to realize that it’s way smarter to tape up before you develop a “hot spot”. Just realize pro athletes tape ankles before the game for a reason. Socks, boots, etc are way less effective than simply taping up before the hike.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those boots probably just don’t fit your feet. Properly fitting boots shouldn’t need liner socks, tape, etc, especially after 75 miles on them. Kenetreks are great boots but there are lots of equivalent options. Crispi, Lowa, Schnee’s, Hoffmans, Hanwag, etc. Find the ones that fit your foot and you’ll be a lot happier.

Blisters are a result of skin rubbing against something. Cheap socks can cause your feet to hold more moisture, making your skin softer and more susceptible to blisters, but will not cause blisters. Taping your feet transfers the friction from your skin to the tape, but does not change the fact that your shoes don’t fit properly. Blisters on the back of your heel means your heel is slipping, which should not happen. I would try doubling up on wool socks to try and get that heel snugged up enough to stop slipping. Try cranking down on the laces too if that’s what it takes.

Back of the heal. Wearing liner socks and merino socks over. Had to tape up the heals on the last long hike with no issues. May have to do that, otherwise it's rubbing. I feel like I should have +/-75 miles on the kennetreks and they should be getting broke in?
Hey thanks. That sucks but I feel the pain. I used to tear my feet up horrible - tires, heels, balls of the feet. Even a3 mile hike was a guarantee for blisters.

For me the answer was properly fitting insoles. Sole & Second Wind insoles that had a proper arch support changed everything for me. I have somewhat skinny feet with high arches - double socks just didn’t fill the boot up right and I had hotspots all the time. My foot world just slide around a little here and there and boom. Blisters.

In a total fit of frustration I caved on the $50 price and figured I’d make good on their guarantee.

Darned if that wasn’t life changing for me. I have happy feet.

Back