Black Hills Any Deer.

I hunted unit 1 for elk a few years ago during archery season. Could’ve killed bucks every day. Whitetails. Biggest was a 140 class. Get away from the truck and a guy could do well.

thanks everyone for helping me break this down as to what i need to buy. ill go for the state wide any deer tag as i may also try to do a scouting trip in august and try knocking on some doors as well asking for permission. and i wont mind getting away from the truck i hike often with the kids. obviously not necessarily same terrain as South Dakota but we've got some pretty big hills out by the Mississippi river just south of the Wisconsin border that offers good hiking with decent elevation changes.

i also need to figure out how to get my wife a cow elk tag. just not sure which state to apply in.....more research to do. she wouldnt be going until 2024 if we can get her a tag. she will be rifle hunting.

I hunted unit 1 for elk a few years ago during archery season. Could’ve killed bucks every day. Whitetails. Biggest was a 140 class. Get away from the truck and a guy could do well.
Hey! Just ran across this thread. I’ll be heading to that unit/area in September with the family for vacation. Was hoping to do some scouting while there. I don’t even have a tag (deer) for the hills currently but plan to give it a try next year. Would you be willing giving me some general idea where you were posted up for elk? I think it would be amazing to see deer and elk in the same area.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but I wouldn't categorize the hills as big country hunting. Sure there are some good sized hills, but with some pretty dense timber and never being more than ~1 mile from a trail , road, or cabin it can hunt a lot smaller than it looks on a map.

I would agree for the most part. The northern "hills" are quite large and the roads are further apart. But it's not like hunting further west where you can go miles and miles without roads.

well i appreciate you educating me some on this. i wouldnt have known there was that many trails and roads through the area. im used to a 17 acre patch of timber thats a transition between a bigger timber maybe 80 acres. other than that its corn or bean fields. i guess what im looking for is a change of scenery.

so is the black hills any deer tag good for all of the black hills or is it just a specific area of the black hills?
If a change of scenery is what you're looking for you're going to love the hunt. BH any deer is open for any of the BH that is open to hunting. You won't have trouble finding deer. A true monster may be hard to find but a fun hunt with a lot of deer sightings will be no trouble.

Hey! Just ran across this thread. I’ll be heading to that unit/area in September with the family for vacation. Was hoping to do some scouting while there. I don’t even have a tag (deer) for the hills currently but plan to give it a try next year. Would you be willing giving me some general idea where you were posted up for elk? I think it would be amazing to see deer and elk in the same area.

There are deer and elk together all over the hills.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vermonthoosier547
Back