Bitterroot Mule Deer 261/270

Big buck or not, spending some time in 261 has been a blast. Stayed with my wife in the gird point look out this summer and glassed lots of great bighorn rams.

Unfortunately I glassed up a sheep in a weird position. I hiked over to it and discovered it was dead. The bio came in and hauled it out for a full necropsy, came back as pneumonia and they let me keep the head. That very same day hiking around later I also found some ram horns from a sheep that had died at least a year ago and were laying in the bear grass.

Here’s some pictures, but if my luck holds maybe I’ll be able to get lucky and find that 180 buck.

Attachments

• IMG_3316.jpeg
    IMG_3316.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3314.jpeg
    IMG_3314.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6242.jpeg
    IMG_6242.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3307.jpeg
    IMG_3307.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3304.jpeg
    IMG_3304.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
Due to the Daly/Railroad fire, it looks like Skalkaho hwy and the 714 road (gird point) are going to be closed opening day. Going in Via Willow Creek but I'm sure there's going to be lots of pressure by elk hunter because that's basically the only open road in the unit.

Anyways earlier in this thread, someone said to drive the private ground to see big bucks and use it as a reference for what's possible in the unit. Well, I've yet to see any big mule deer on private in 261 or 262 driving the county roads. Maybe I'm driving the wrong roads but I've been patrolling from skalkaho hwy up Golf Course, willow crossing, Summerdale, and North Birch Creek and literally have not seen a single Muley buck.

Anyways, just giving people an update. Only 5 more days till the boom sticks bark!

Due to the Daly/Railroad fire, it looks like Skalkaho hwy and the 714 road (gird point) are going to be closed opening day. Going in Via Willow Creek but I'm sure there's going to be lots of pressure by elk hunter because that's basically the only open road in the unit.

Anyways earlier in this thread, someone said to drive the private ground to see big bucks and use it as a reference for what's possible in the unit. Well, I've yet to see any big mule deer on private in 261 or 262 driving the county roads. Maybe I'm driving the wrong roads but I've been patrolling from skalkaho hwy up Golf Course, willow crossing, Summerdale, and North Birch Creek and literally have not seen a single Muley buck.

Anyways, just giving people an update. Only 5 more days till the boom sticks bark!
The yard bucks of years past are gone. And I live in the area you described. Hope you find the buck in the pics. Cats are hard on them. mtmuley

The yard bucks of years past are gone. And I live in the area you described. Hope you find the buck in the pics. Cats are hard on them. mtmuley
It’s been 8 or so years since I hunted 270, but along with the cat tracks, there was no shortage of wolf tracks either as I recall

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimless
Back