Best available substitute for Re-22

Horseman

What is the best available substitute for Alliant’s Re-22? I shoot 160gr bullets out of a 7mmremmag and 107gr out of a .243win. I’m finally running low on my favorite powder and it seems as though it’s never going to come off the back order list

I am having great results with the Vihtavuori N5xx series replacing various Alliant powders. Great velocities. To replace RL-22 I would Definitely try N560 for heavy bullets and N555 for lighter bullets.

I've heard of great results with N160 for 100+grain bullets in .243 Winchester. N160 is great, but I'm thinking N555 might great you more velocity.

The biggest difference between the 100 series and the 500 series is energy.

Ironic Alliant can't import propellants from Europe but Vihtavuori and Norma shipments are arriving every day. It was never about regulations and supply chains.
Despite the CFIUS clearing the security concerns of the sale of Vista Outdoors' Kinetic Group to CSG, I am ending my long time brand loyalty to Alliant.

When my hoard of CCI primers is diminished, I will have to look to Winchester, the last remaining US owned primer maker.

I am having great results with the Vihtavuori N5xx series replacing various Alliant powders. Great velocities. To replace RL-22 I would Definitely try N560 for heavy bullets and N555 for lighter bullets.

I've heard of great results with N160 for 100+grain bullets in .243 Winchester. N160 is great, but I'm thinking N555 might great you more velocity.

Ironic Alliant can't import propellants from Europe but Vihtavuori and Norma shipments are arriving every day. It was never about regulations and supply chains.
Despite the CFIUS clearing the security concerns of the sale of Vista Outdoors' Kinetic Group to CSG, I am ending my long time brand loyalty to Alliant.

When my hoard of CCI primers is diminished, I will have to look to Winchester, the last remaining US owned primer maker.
From what I've heard, and has not been verified.
But whomever is making the powder for Vista is supposedly having issues getting nitrocellulose.

Vihtavouri makes their own nitrocellulose to better ensure their quality control.

From what I've heard, and has not been verified.
But whomever is making the powder for Vista is supposedly having issues getting nitrocellulose.

Vihtavouri makes their own nitrocellulose to better ensure their quality control.
This is what I have heard also. I have been a Vista guy for decades, but I'm just done with it.

I just found 1000 each of Winchester large rifle and large rifle magnum primers today, which is good because my CCI stash was running pretty low. I’m also trying to really slim down my powder selection to the stuff that’s more available, and I’ve had great luck finding H4831SC, H4350, and Varget. I like RL16 and have 5 plus pounds, but when it’s gone I’m done.

I also found some .277 140 Accubonds, which I was thrilled about.

For the OP, H4831SC is a great powder to replace RL22 for the 7 mag, .243, and lots of others. It’s been easy to find lately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back