Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Banff in a Week

shannerdrake

HT, I am heading Banff on 9/30 for a quick trip. Arrive around 5pm local time on Monday 9/30 and leave around noon on Thursday. Have a couple small work obligations Tuesday and Wednesday but otherwise have a lot of flexibility.

Any must do things? Restaurants? Shorter hikes (under 4 hours)? Shops?

Thanks everyone!

What wildlife should I expect to see? Saw where a couple got killed by a grizz last October 1st.
I have seen Grizzly, Elk, Rams, Eagles, Brown Bear. I always carry bear spray when hiking or long distance from car. I work for Grand Tetons and been in Canada since June. I am always aware of my surroundings and never have an issue

Any must do things? Restaurants? Shorter hikes (under 4 hours)? Shops?
Banff Ave Brewing: has really solid beer, folks are great and the food is good. Fun pool table on the back, my son has a blast playing with the seasonal folks in the winter (The female Aussie/Kiwi ones in particular)

Farm&Fire: inside the Elk+Avenue hotel is great

The Maple Leaf - slight lean towards touristy, but OMG are the steaks and seafood good. Oysters in particular. Excellent wine selection too, if that’s your thing. Helpful if work is footing the bill.

Una Pizza - I know, part of a (small) chain, but really solid pizza and a fun little place

Worth the drive and an overpriced lunch at the lobby restaurant at Chateau Lake Louise for the view.

With the exchange rate, shopping anywhere in Canada is pretty good for a $USD shopper right now.

Can’t add to the hiking as I have mostly been in town in winter, but the upper bow would be on my list if I was there in September.

Back