Anyone have experience with Really Right Stuff (RRS) tripods?

Luke_with_a_lab

Im getting tired of subpar tripods, I have an ultralight one from Spartan but it shakes when my spotting scope is on it. Thinking Im finally ready to drop some coin (buy once, cry once) on a tripod for shooting and glassing. Im looking at the Really Right Stuff tripods but unsure which model would be the best fit. Most of my hunting is backcountry, but I do have llamas so weight is less of a concern than if everything was strictly backpacking. Just curious if anyone has experience with them and which style they might recommend.

They’re very nice, and fully priced.

I would look at the TFCT-24, 24L, 34, or 34L with the Anvil 30 head for a buy once cry once situation. The 24's have smaller leg diameters than the 34's and as such trade away a little stability for some weight savings, I don't have the experience to quantify the difference for you unfortunately but will say I know people who like both. The L models are nice if you're taller and want to be able to glass well standing in all situations.

I got a TFCT 24L a few years back and my light weight glassing tripods all of a sudden felt cheap.

I will say that the Anvil is not ideal for typical glassing. It’s more for shooting than glassing and is kind of sticky compared to most nice ball or pan heads. They have ball heads with leveling bases that would be better for glassing but a little less stable for shooting.

The leveling bases are even more stable to shoot off than an anvil but are limited to 15 or 20 degrees up or down depending on model.

Some folks clamp a lightweight tricer, rrs PT scout, or wiser precision pan head in an anvil or leveling base for better glassing when using a beefier “shooting” tripod.

I’d look at the ascend model if just for glassing and not for shooting off.

Last edited:
Good catch, I agree about the supplemental pan head if you’re going to be glassing for days on end. I don’t mind glassing for a while from an anvil, personally.

I have the leveling head, it is the most stable for shooting off, but the angle limitations make it compromised for general use.

Thanks for the info. In the research I've been doing I'm leaning towards the Ascend as it seems like the best all around option for what I'm looking for. I don't mind some weight but don't want it to get so heavy that I never want to put it into my pack. Seems like the Ascend with the anvil head then the PT Scout on it for glassing could be a pretty decent option. Defiantly not cheap haha.

Yeah, I’ve never put a different head in my anvil for glassing but I do get annoyed with it compared to a good pan head.

I've got a TFCT MK2 and it's awesome, if you can find one used I think they're worth it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jachanzar91
Back