MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Another sage grouse thread

sigpros

So next year I am thinking about taking my son to wyoming to try and get some sage grouse. I have seen them when antelope hunting but never hunted them. We do not have a dog and would be trying to walk and hunt them. I am looking for tips and maybe even areas we might have the best shot at him getting a grouse. It will be his senior year and I really want to be able to take him on a couple hunts. Also looking at trying to put a turkey hunt togther and I do not know if we will have enough deer points for a hunt or not.

Honestly never thought I would feel this way but I am really going to miss him when he is gone, his plans are going to the air force acadamy or ROTC so I know we wont get a lot of time togther fo a few years. Hoping to make a lot of memories next year

6266E941-50AC-4881-941D-40AA15A6963C.jpegIMG_2528.jpeg

You can see the country Sage Grouse like behind us in the pics. However, if you seen them antelope hunting you know where to look.

I use dogs for my birds but you can march them up similar to pheasant hunting. If you’re hunting new country dogless, you could scout for birds driving around. I see a lot of sage hens picking gravel on dirt roads. In general, Sage Grouse are going to live in the sea of sage brush. When walking, you should see grouse scat on the ground in prime areas. It seems to remain for years.

I don’t have a hint where to hunt new country if I haven’t seen any birds. If water is around, I’d check the country around it. Otherwise, I’d look for a nice sage area and start walking.

Sage Grouse numbers have been up dramatically in Idaho the past two years. I shot my two birds last year in five minutes of hunting.

Is a 20 gauge sufficient for sage grouse? This is shaping up to be a family hunt. Looks like my wife and daughter might come along too. Great pics and thank you for the info

20 gauge is fine. They die easy.

Best tip I ever got for sagies is to walk 10 miles, then they'll be next to the truck. It's happened more than a few times. ;)

Sagies like ridges that get some shade as well as flats. Spread out and work a section or two, and keep swinging through the deeper, thicker sage brush. Totally agree with @brymoore on just kinda driving and scouting. Early mornings have been better for me than midday, but you can walk them up all day long - just have really, really good boots.

20 gauge is fine. They die easy.

Best tip I ever got for sagies is to walk 10 miles, then they'll be next to the truck. It's happened more than a few times. ;)

Sagies like ridges that get some shade as well as flats. Spread out and work a section or two, and keep swinging through the deeper, thicker sage brush. Totally agree with @brymoore on just kinda driving and scouting. Early mornings have been better for me than midday, but you can walk them up all day long - just have really, really good boots.
Riding a horse through sagebrush also seems to work wonders.

Is a 20 gauge sufficient for sage grouse? This is shaping up to be a family hunt. Looks like my wife and daughter might come along too. Great pics and thank you for the info
I killed my two birds last with a 20 gauge in two shots. I then followed my son around, who was having an off day, and watched him shoot a box of shells to kill his two birds. Being the nice Dad I am, I was calling his shot placement for him (He’s 23).

Behind! Low! Behind again!

20 ga is more then fine. My friends and I shot ours with 20 ga last year. I've even heard of guys using 28s. Resized_20220922_090648.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back