Yeti GOBOX Collection

Am i in the right place or not?

Devil's advocate here but if your bait is new the deer might shy away from it not go to it.
Also are you leaving a bunch of scent when you go scouting, might be spooking your deer out as well.

Good luck though !!

I started bow hunting for deer at age 16. On my own with no information, no clue what I was doing. I hunted public and private, never saw a deer.

After many fruitless outings, I eventually learned rule #1 of deer hunting: Find deer, not a place to hunt deer.

You can make an unproductive property productive, but that takes hours and hours of year-round preparation and work, and it generally takes 2-3 years to establish adequate food and/or cover to get deer to move into an area and use it.
If I was a Midwest whitetail hunter, I’d listen to this guy.

A few things to consider that I've used over the years.
I'll break down a few levels of hierarchy for how I got started.

Phase 1 - Just get started
Find public, learn on it, grow your experience levels, embrace the suck etc.
I started hunting at age 25 and cut my teeth on public, ground hunting whitetail in open country in Oklahoma.
I got my teeth kicked in repeatedly, but it was the best thing I could have ever have done to cut the learning curve.

Phase 2 - Use your sphere of influence and inner circle to potentially gain access.
Do you go to church? Ask someone there if you could possibly hunt their ground.
Do you play sports? Do any of your teammates have farm ground to hunt?
Do you have any buddies who hunt? Ask them where they hunt and try to join them.
Does anyone at your mom/dad's work own land? Can they ask for you?

A lot of my hunting peers and land owner friends are often talking about how they are allowing someone from church or a friends' kid come out and hunt their land.
People want to see next generations come up and learn the joys of the outdoors. So more often than not you will find people who want to help you.
Be humble and willing to learn. You will be surprised how many people will be there to help and ensure you have success.

Phase 3 - When all else fails - knock on doors
I'm 37 and I still knock on doors, write people hand written letters, or stop them on a tractor for a conversation.
People struggle with communication these days thanks to technology and people miss out on the power of a handshake and in-person convos.

I still offer to do work on their farms or clean up of their property, I offer to take and teach anyone in their families that may want to hunt, I build relationships that last and benefit the land owner too, not just me.

I moved to Missouri back in June of 22 and I now have access to 5 properties and over 1,200 acres to hunt.
Not to mention we are truly blessed with tons of public around here to explore.

Last and not least - if for some reason you cant get this all figured out by second antlerless rifle, shoot me a message.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austinprater11
Back