Caribou Gear

Action Blueprinting a Weatherby Mark V

Bowhuntrben

I'm thinking about ordering a Weatherby Mark V Hunter (probably in 308) in the not too distant future. It gives the option of Action Blue Printing for $250. I am not a gun guru so I was hoping to get your thoughts on whether this is something that is worth it? If it is, I will spend the extra money but don't want to just throw money at something that I don't need.

The option states it includes "hand honing, truing receiver and bolt face, and lapping of lugs".

My intended purpose for the rifle is for hunting and not super long range target shooting. Hypothetically say a maximum range of 500 yards even though I would limit myself to shorter than that in the field. It would be nice to have accuracy out to this farther distance of 500 yards for practicing. Weatherby is supposed to guarantee sub-MOA anyway. Would blueprinting be likely to give me enough improved accuracy in the Mark V to make it worth it?

Edited to add: I will be shooting factory ammo.

Give me your thoughts gun gurus!

Last edited:
A sub-MOA is 9/10 better than anyone can actually shoot in real world hunting scenarios.

I have backcountry Ti in 6.5-300 that shoots 3/4 MOA at the range. When standing in front of a critter with your heart rate pumping, wind, elevation, miss judging distance if it shoots within 2" of where you want it its accurate enough.

My 2 cents worth

I'm thinking about ordering a Weatherby Mark V Hunter (probably in 308) in the not too distant future. It gives the option of Action Blue Printing for $250. I am not a gun guru so I was hoping to get your thoughts on whether this is something that is worth it? If it is, I will spend the extra money but don't want to just throw money at something that I don't need.

The option states it includes "hand honing, truing receiver and bolt face, and lapping of lugs".

My intended purpose for the rifle is for hunting and not super long range target shooting. Hypothetically say a maximum range of 500 yards even though I would limit myself to shorter than that in the field. It would be nice to have accuracy out to this farther distance of 500 yards for practicing. Weatherby is supposed to guarantee sub-MOA anyway. Would blueprinting be likely to give me enough improved accuracy in the Mark V to make it worth it?

Edited to add: I will be shooting factory ammo.

Give me your thoughts gun gurus!
So they build a rifle, then you have the option of possibly making it better for more money. Why doesn't Weatherby just do the work in the first place? mtmuley

I think the mark v’s come with a sub moa guarantee anyway, I’m not sure I’d spend that money unless I was chunking a bunch at a custom anyways. What’s another $250 if you’re gonna be in $3k

I think the mark v’s come with a sub moa guarantee anyway, I’m not sure I’d spend that money unless I was chunking a bunch at a custom anyways. What’s another $250 if you’re gonna be in $3k
Seems like a backdoor way to get another $250 bucks. AndI bet the guarantee is with one specific load and bullet. Those guarantees are a joke. mtmuley

Weatherby is selling a very expensive 1500 dollar rifle if it comes with a tupperware stock and an action that needs to be trued jmho.

I personally wouldn’t. I love the Weatherby rifles I have but they’re expensive enough, and both shoot just fine as is. Seems like a money grab for another 0.25” at best, which in the grand scheme of it all, isn’t going to be the difference of anyone killing an elk or not if you’re already at MOA.

Anybody who has ever used Blue Dykem to check the lugs? I have a Mark V in the safe, but I'm not doing this before I get back from Moose camp.

Mine shoots lights out with Hammers.

I kind of wonder if they are going to do a blue-printing if you send it back on the Sub MOA guarantee. Lap it and reset the barrel and they solve a ton of problems.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrestonThayne
Back