A very successful trip not measured by trophy size

DRS

My wife and I returned from out trip to Wyoming last Sunday. It was combination belated anniversary and hunting trip. My wife has been very busy with work and having to take care of her mother and trying to sell her late father's house so I wanted to be able spend some quality time with her. Due to our available schedule this would necessitate me having only a day or two to hunt, which was fine with me. I wanted make sure she enjoyed her first time in Wyoming. After driving from NC we arrived in the rain on 9/23. On 9/24 I did some scouting to get more familiar with my unit. I had traveled through it several times back in the 80's when I was at UW and during the 90's when I lived in Denver but had never hunted there. Saw a good number of antelope and some nice bucks but conditions were very wet. Opening morning on 9/25 it was very foggy with a couple inches of wet snow. This was my view at legal shooting time.

IMG_0939.jpg

Eventually the fog cleared but the previous rain and melted snow really limited where you could go off the paved roads. That morning I slogged through the mud and had a couple of stalks that didn't pan out. About 2:30 I found a buck tending 6 does in a very stalkable location. I was able to crawl to within 150 yds of them up the backside of a hill. When I got a closer look at the buck I could tell he didn't have exceptional horns, but when he offered an easy broadside shot I decided to take it.

IMG_0944.jpg

If I had just been there to hunt I probably would have passed on him, but by filling my tag I was able spend the rest of the week with my wife touring around Wyoming, including showing her the Tetons and Yellowstone for the first time. When she told me on our last day that it had been one of her best vacations ever, I knew I had made the right decision.

IMG_0966.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the nice buck and sounds like a fantastic vacation.

Congrats , glad to hear you enjoyed Wyoming. Maybe next time she'll do some hunting too.

Back