A New (To Me) Birthday Gift

Very Nice Find!!!! Congratulations & Happy Birthday :)
Not long ago I had a chance at a Pre 64 Winchester, 30-06, serial # indicated it was made in 1941, beautiful wood stock in great condition with an old Leupold scope to boot, only $1,200, but it was $1,200 that i didn't have at the moment & i had to pass, been kicking myself ever since.
Great job on not letting that one get away!!!!

Attachments

• Win.M.70.1941.jpg
    Win.M.70.1941.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 11
Thats a cool gun man, don't see it every day. I've always wondered what the accuracy would be like on a pump action centerfire

So I wanted one when I was a kid and saw this and simply had to get it:
View attachment 331605

I can't quite make out whether the date code is an X or a Y so either a 1973 or 1974 Remington 760 GameMaster in 30-06. Will take it to the range and if it shoots will take it to NY for a whitetail hunt in November.
I think it must be older. In the 70s Remington was stamp checkering everything. I have one like yours that was given to my dad the week I was born ... October 1952. I also have his diary confirming when Mom's father bought it for him. As I understand it, 1952 was the first year of production.

I see them a lot in wv gunstores used and I bet they all have a great life story

Great looking gun, enjoy. We call them an "Amish AR" around these parts.

Awesome rifle. I have had a mild obsession with the 760s since I was really young.

Happy Birthday!

I think it must be older. In the 70s Remington was stamp checkering everything. I have one like yours that was given to my dad the week I was born ... October 1952. I also have his diary confirming when Mom's father bought it for him. As I understand it, 1952 was the first year of production.
I did some more research and you are correct. The X that I thought was the year is actually December. The year is P which if the chart I read is correct that would be 1967.

Back