A loss for the PTD

I think the judge being an avid hunter could have huge implications.
You hitting any secret backwaters outside the railroad refuge limits over private land with these super high river levels right now? I'm guessing right now as we speak there are dozens of fisherman fishing over flooded lands on the river that would normally be dry right now.

I think we need to change the rule from "navigable water" to "navigable precipitation".

"I was knee deep in snow the whole time bro, there's no chance I was trespassing! What you own the snow? False. You own the ground UNDER the snow."

I think we need to change the rule from "navigable water" to "navigable precipitation".

"I was knee deep in snow the whole time bro, there's no chance I was trespassing! What you own the snow? False. You own the ground UNDER the snow."
Sounds like a Dwight statement lol. Does the law differentiate between frozen water and liquid water?? Doesnt look like it. You may be onto something here.

For that matter, we bring back the other matter - water vapor, aka gas - if its foggy or 100% humidity, can we not navigate through that with immunity?!?

Does the law differentiate between frozen water and liquid water??
Waterfowl hunting has some impact from this case but hands down the most impacted recreation/use is ice fishing. Historically, the WI resident or visitor to our state did not need to worry about whether the solid ice in which they walked on to access their fishing spot was within the OHWM or not. Now, they will and it may lead to some future lawsuits/issues.

Waterfowl hunting has some impact from this case but hands down the most impacted recreation/use is ice fishing. Historically, the WI resident or visitor to our state did not need to worry about whether the solid ice in which they walked on to access their fishing spot was within the OHWM or not. Now, they will and it may lead to some future lawsuits/issues.
My guess is little real world impact and folks will forget about it in a few news cycles. In fact, they should appeal and let it die as lower court one off.

[note - typo - meant “shouldn’t appeal”]

Last edited:
My guess is little real world impact and folks will forget about it in a few news cycles. In fact, they should appeal and let it die as lower court one off.
Are you saying that if the state appeals the landowner will let it die off?

Very good point bringing a very real fishing aspect into the question. Thats a huge consideration. If it has the time to turn to thick enough ice, Id certainly say that its within OHWM, or is setting a new boundary for the OHWM, which obviously is not stationary through time.

Are you saying that if the state appeals the landowner will let it die off?
My typo made my remark less than clear - sorry. I am saying if the state lets it die at the district court they may be better off than appealing. In savvier days it was common to choose that path (for example lots of ridiculously stretched RICO claims were allowed to die at district court level rather than risk losing the hammer nationwide) - but now that politics is a blood sport for the daily news cycle everybody seems to appeal everything as high as possible all of the time — which is often bad strategy.

My typo made my remark less than clear - sorry. I am saying if the state lets it die at the district court they may be better off than appealing. In savvier days it was common to choose that path (for example lots of ridiculously stretched RICO claims were allowed to die at district court level rather than risk losing the hammer nationwide) - but now that politics is a blood sport for the daily news cycle everybody seems to appeal everything as high as possible all of the time — which is often bad strategy.
This was Fred Eshelmen's mistake in WY. If he wanted to keep his personal access to public land, he wouldn't have gone after the guys corner crossing at all, nor continued to appeal it (although we'll see, he may win still). Most likely, he would have been better off to let them do it and not make a big deal out of it.

I need to read into this issue, I'm not as familiar with how the high water mark is different in swampy states. In the semi-arid west, we don't have these kinds of wetland issues, and I can certainly see how the boundary would be fuzzier. I defer to @VikingsGuy's analysis.

This was Fred Eshelmen's mistake in WY. If he wanted to keep his personal access to public land, he wouldn't have gone after the guys corner crossing at all, nor continued to appeal it (although we'll see, he may win still). Most likely, he would have been better off to let them do it and not make a big deal out of it.

I need to read into this issue, I'm not as familiar with how the high water mark is different in swampy states. In the semi-arid west, we don't have these kinds of wetland issues, and I can certainly see how the boundary would be fuzzier. I defer to @VikingsGuy's analysis.
My analysis has been a 2 minute read of the constitutional text a user linked to, plus general legal context from experience. No deeply studied insight on this one by me :)

If it has the time to turn to thick enough ice, Id certainly say that its within OHWM, or is setting a new boundary for the OHWM, which obviously is not stationary through time.
It is not uncommon for an early heavy snowfall to quickly rise a local river or wetland and than due an extreme cold following the event, it freezes up. So its not quite so simple.

It would be very different year-to-year in some flowages if Wisconsin measured by ice level- often throughout the same season (Petenwell for example).

The more we discuss this, the more I appreciate Wisconsin’s water access laws being the way they are. I get why it seems janky, but it works.

I still am not seeing how this guy compares to Eshelman.

In Wyoming the argument was restricting access to public land via private land.

There, the argument is a private landowner wanting to assert his own private lands from the public. Laws get challenged and changed all the time.

All for stream access laws, but there’s got to be a limit to how far you should be able to go into someone’s land.

I still am not seeing how this guy compares to Eshelman.
Maybe I'm really over simplifying here but the corner crossing case basically ends up boiling down to whether or not passing through the direct airspace above a person property constitutes as a trespass. Really doesn't matter if its at a direct corner or if there is a 2 foot gap and you get a good running start and jump across it without touching the dirt.

This topic is identical except replace air with water. If you are on water, you aren't on the persons land but rather on the public use space of the water in the same way the person jumping or stepping through the air directly above the dirt of a private property owner.

You can’t go on their land- you have to stay in the water😉

*unless you are going around an obstacle, in which case you may exit but must immediately re-enter upon passing said obstacle.

Yeah yeah yeah I gotcha.

Ok what about some rule about until they tell you to leave? What about free access unless the land is posted?

I’m just saying, I’d be pretty pissed if I wanted to take my grandkids out duck hunting back in my woods by the river. But one of these flat bill d-bags was just as able to be back there after I spent all summer maintaining the woods, paying the taxes, etc? Times are different, I can guarantee when this went into effect this wasn’t going to be near as commercialized as it is now.

Maybe I'm really over simplifying here

Wyoming was a restriction of public land by a private land owner.

This seems to be an attempt to restrict public access to private land (via a rewrite of a law). All about it.

Maybe I'm really over simplifying here but the corner crossing case basically ends up boiling down to whether or not passing through the direct airspace above a person property constitutes as a trespass. Really doesn't matter if its at a direct corner or if there is a 2 foot gap and you get a good running start and jump across it without touching the dirt.

This topic is identical except replace air with water. If you are on water, you aren't on the persons land but rather on the public use space of the water in the same way the person jumping or stepping through the air directly above the dirt of a private property owner.
At least two really big differences . . .

1. There is a specific federal statute on point in the WY case that for whatever historical reasons has been completely disregarded, yet may be the winning hand.
2. Adjacent corners are a permanent “condition” that have been used to restrict access to public land the owner does not own — while in the WI case, you are suggesting that a temporary nature disaster should significantly impinge on the actual property of the property owner at the very time they are dealing with a natural disaster.

I am all in on public lands, but frankly this is embarrassing. Can’t we have a little compassion for the flood victim? Do we have to always take every wish and whim to “11” even during an “act of god”.

Back