5 states, 4 species, and hopefully a boys first deer.

First time shooting sense his cast came off and things went OK but not great. There is a shooting test before his controlled hunt. To pass the test you have to put 3 consecutive shots into a paper plate at 75 yards from a bench rest (unlimited tries). We recreated the test today and he took 3 tries before getting 3 in a row. I'd prefer it to be on the first go but in fairness he was close. He did do a fantastic job safely handling and loading his rifle completely on his own. We're gonna practice again tomorrow, Sunday, and every day possible. His hunt starts 2 weeks from today we're both excited.20241018_124039.jpg

First time shooting sense his cast came off and things went OK but not great. There is a shooting test before his controlled hunt. To pass the test you have to put 3 consecutive shots into a paper plate at 75 yards from a bench rest (unlimited tries). We recreated the test today and he took 3 tries before getting 3 in a row. I'd prefer it to be on the first go but in fairness he was close. He did do a fantastic job safely handling and loading his rifle completely on his own. We're gonna practice again tomorrow, Sunday, and every day possible. His hunt starts 2 weeks from today we're both excited.View attachment 345018
Rooting for that kid, big time. He'll do just fine.

Rooting for that kid, big time. He'll do just fine.
I was a bit frustrated with his shooting yesterday. My dad would've made me sit there and shoot a box of ammo till it was "right" and I was miserable. But I'm trying a gentler hand (my wifes fault🤣) some days I wonder if it's a mistake. Gonna take the scoped 22. out this morning for a bit longer of a session before we pull out the big gun.

I was a bit frustrated with his shooting yesterday. My dad would've made me sit there and shoot a box of ammo till it was "right" and I was miserable. But I'm trying a gentler hand (my wifes fault🤣) some days I wonder if it's a mistake. Gonna take the scoped 22. out this morning for a bit longer of a session before we pull out the big gun.
That's probably a great idea. I find myself in the same parental predicament all the time. It'll work out.

So we got some 22. time in yesterday and I took a look at his form with the 243. It became obvious the scope needed to come back a bit but more importantly the length of pull just isn't a good fit. It's a standard Ruger m77 not a youth model and I have no doubt he will grow into it sooner than later but for now on to plan B. My wife’s rifle is a youth 7mm-08 and we broke it out. Almost instantly I could tell it was a better fit and his shooting reflected that. Was a little worried about the recoil but he's a champ and far from recoil sensitive. Took him out this morning and and he did great 4 shots at a paper plate at 75 yards. First shot he pulled left, next two were perfect right above the bull, for the final shot we changed his point of aim to try for a bullseye and hit just a bit low. Much happier with his shooting today then Friday. My fault for waiting so long to get things squared away. We are going to practice again Wednesday before I head to NM and the day I get back then off to his hunt.20241020_123105.jpg20241020_123209.jpg20241020_123212.jpg

Back