Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

44hunter45's 358 Norma build.

Getting to know the rifle on the loading bench. Really interesting to see the max COAL for various ogive shapes. Lots of room to play here, but not too much.

I really nerd out on this stuff. I should be making real ammo soon. I am going to throw together a bunch of 250gr mystery spitzers just to go through the break-in cycles. I'm not going to shoot those for groups. Most of these were acquired at gun shows over the years. Various 250 grain spitzers, but the cannelures are in different places. Cheap break-in fodder.

Speer 250 Grand Slam
is .020" off the lands crimped in a case trimmed 3.210". Lots of room in the mag at COAL 3.255"
Bitterroot 250 is right there at at COAL 3.260". Debating whether I will turn a cannelure on these. I will decide after I've shot the first bunch.
Woodleigh 310 RN - Seating to factory cannelure depth and not hitting the lands. I see this as a rock throwing load so I actually care about reliable feeding more than accuracy.
Hammer 196HHT, 215HHT, 255HHT, 275PH. These are all limited by the magazine length.

Still to measure:
Nosler 250gr Partitions
Woodleigh 275 PP.
Swift 280gr A-Frame.
Barnes Original 250 SP
Barnes Original 300gr RN
Hawk .035" 275 Semi-Spitzer
Hawk .035" 300 Semi-Spitzer

Also on the shelf but don't care right now:
Speer 180 Flat Point
Speer 220 Flat Point
Sierra 225 Boattail
Hornady 250 Interlock Spire Point
Hornady 200 RN

All these get measured and the COALs logged in my book/spreadsheet and I never have to do this again.

Thankfully, I have plenty of powders on the shelf from H4895 to Viht N560. I wish I had a jug of 2000-MR, but I'm down to less than a pound. It's essentially CFE-223 only I always get about 150 more FPS out of it.
Sitting on a lot of W748, BL-C2, H4895, H335, W760/H414, H4350, RL-16, RL-19, IMR 4831, 7828SSC.
I would like to get some Viht N530. I know its around at Scheel's but that is a bit of a drive.

Getting to know the rifle on the loading bench. Really interesting to see the max COAL for various ogive shapes. Lots of room to play here, but not too much.

I really nerd out on this stuff. I should be making real ammo soon. I am going to throw together a bunch of 250gr mystery spitzers just to go through the break-in cycles. I'm not going to shoot those for groups. Most of these were acquired at gun shows over the years. Various 250 grain spitzers, but the cannelures are in different places. Cheap break-in fodder.

Speer 250 Grand Slam is .020" off the lands crimped in a case trimmed 3.210". Lots of room in the mag at COAL 3.255"
Bitterroot 250 is right there at at COAL 3.260". Debating whether I will turn a cannelure on these. I will decide after I've shot the first bunch.
Woodleigh 310 RN - Seating to factory cannelure depth and not hitting the lands. I see this as a rock throwing load so I actually care about reliable feeding more than accuracy.
Hammer 196HHT, 215HHT, 255HHT, 275PH. These are all limited by the magazine length.

Still to measure:
Nosler 250gr Partitions
Woodleigh 275 PP.
Swift 280gr A-Frame.
Barnes Original 250 SP
Barnes Original 300gr RN
Hawk .035" 275 Semi-Spitzer
Hawk .035" 300 Semi-Spitzer

Also on the shelf but don't care right now:
Speer 180 Flat Point
Speer 220 Flat Point
Sierra 225 Boattail
Hornady 250 Interlock Spire Point
Hornady 200 RN

All these get measured and the COALs logged in my book/spreadsheet and I never have to do this again.

Thankfully, I have plenty of powders on the shelf from H4895 to Viht N560. I wish I had a jug of 2000-MR, but I'm down to less than a pound. It's essentially CFE-223 only I always get about 150 more FPS out of it.
Sitting on a lot of W748, BL-C2, H4895, H335, W760/H414, H4350, RL-16, RL-19, IMR 4831, 7828SSC.
I would like to get some Viht N530. I know its around at Scheel's but that is a bit of a drive.
I'd give a hard look to the 250gr Partitions, The 250gr Grand Slams, and the 250gr Barnes. I think the 250's should be around 2800fps max in your barrel.
Give the Hawks their fair test too, I know a lot of folks really like them.

Can we just be our own entity?
No, we need the Moscow liberalness and the weirdo drama kids, the Patchouli-wearing hippies, and the ultimate frisbee teams to balance out all of the migrant reactionary conservatives moving from the Southland to N Idaho in a wild attempt to recreate Richard Butler's paradise.
Plus, there's no way I'm letting The Club secede from The Union.

Last edited:
Also- this looks like a spectacular rifle that will shoot lights out. Well done by @p_ham and well done by @44hunter45. It's fun to see the build and see it put on paper and then dialed in, but I'm very interested in what and how this will put on the ground.

you know you could be out breaking it in on a cow elk right now…
I will have three tags in my pocket during my moose hunt, plus predator tags.

Worried about getting cocky, but the odds are good there will be a picture with blood on the stock before the end of the season.

Any color phase boar is on the menu too. I better brush up on my griz/not griz pictures. I do not want to be that guy. The outfitter does a booming bear business in spring and fall. A second tag is not out of the question.

Wolves too, but the coyotes I've shot with 30 caliber have been pretty messy. 35 should be interesting.

As far as the weight goes, I sent pics to Jim Baichtal. He reminded me that his every day rifle has a .219" bigger bore, 4 more inches of length, and weighs more too.
There is always a bigger dog...
I think I had seen the weight posted somewhere, but what was it?

I know. I ended up getting the bull tag where I will be moose hunting. You know I love the cow hunt, but the whole get the meat out before it gets too hot is a pain.
Killing a bull in the mtns is infinitely cooler than a cow in a field

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back