.44 mag hunting loads

I’ve always wanted a nice single action revolver, and recently came across a great deal on a barely used Ruger super blackhawk 5.5” in .44 mag. I’ve never really done any handgun hunting, but I’ve always been interested in it, especially for black bears. I encounter bears up close pretty frequently, especially when I’m hunting grouse in the fall, and I think it would be pretty fun to take one with a revolver if the right opportunity presented itself.

Obviously the heavy hardcasts are the pick for penetration only and they’re interesting, but I’m thinking a simple 240 gr Hornady XTP or other expanding bullet would do a lot more damage on a heart/lung shot. I know some folks here have taken a decent amount of game with the .44 rem mag, what works?
I’ve always wanted a nice single action revolver, and recently came across a great deal on a barely used Ruger super blackhawk 5.5” in .44 mag. I’ve never really done any handgun hunting, but I’ve always been interested in it, especially for black bears. I encounter bears up close pretty frequently, especially when I’m hunting grouse in the fall, and I think it would be pretty fun to take one with a revolver if the right opportunity presented itself.

Obviously the heavy hardcasts are the pick for penetration only and they’re interesting, but I’m thinking a simple 240 gr Hornady XTP or other expanding bullet would do a lot more damage on a heart/lung shot. I know some folks here have taken a decent amount of game with the .44 rem mag, what works?

This is a really good read!!
This is the individual that wrote about his experience with these bullets. His results are very positive and he backs them up with the photos. I think they may be a great option.

This is a really good read!!
I am pretty sure that our own @HandgunHunter is the author. His results with the CE bullets look really good.

Not sure if it's relevant, but I shot a lot of deer with the 240 GR .44 mag XTP out of a sabot with my .50 cal muzzleloader and they worked really well.

Yes that’s my article. I have been lucky to take a bunch of game with handguns and over the last few years I made the move to all mono metal.

The last couple hunts covered in that article wrapped up who I thought the best was. The CEB has out performed every single expanding bullet I have used. And the wound channels are amazing.

Just make sure one of the four petals doesn’t end up in the meat grinder!

In all transparency…..after that article and a few years of sending CEB dead animal pictures…..I ended up on their prostaff. Actually I believe I am their only prostaff. After finishing that long experiment I don’t think I could go back to another bullet….the total performance is amazing.

My load data is published on the blog as well as my loading practices with CEB’s blessing. Th load data is a living document that I keep adding to.

Just got done pushing some distance on chucks with them.

Backcountry Rock Chucks
I had to do a bit of elk scouting for our group cow elk handgun hunt coming up this fall so I decided to pair it up with some rock chucking!

I set…

http://handgunhuntingafield.blog/2024/06/21/backcountry-rock-chucks/

Back