2nd Rifle Elk Colorado Weather conditions

WVmike

I will be going on my first elk hunt in 2nd rifle in Colorado this year with my buddy from WV. We will be shooting for the area west of aspen, crested butte without listing the exact unit and was trying to gather some info about the possible weather conditions. 2nd rifle is Oct 26th -Nov 3rd. I've looked at historical weather for this general area and have seen it can be 40-50s during the day with temps in the single digits obviously dependent upon the elevation. I have never been to Colorado but have experience with below 0 temps while outdoors for over a 12 hour period (not the most enjoyable thing I've done for sure) while in the Marine Corps during training and also hunting in WV with temps down into the teens during the morning and evenings. My question is how many base layers do others usually bring along with them when hunting in these areas at this time of year?

I will start out cold from where we start hiking into the unit then when we stop put other layers on and continue that for the duration of the hunt. My normal pack weight counting water is around 25-30 lbs without tent/stove, etc. My issue is if I bring the Traverse hoodie is that it is heavy and takes up a lot of room but it is warm especially if I use it underneath my jetstream or my rain jacket. I will have one lightweight base layer on then one extra in the pack for sure. Also will probably have the sitka midweight, kiln top, and sitka merino bottom in my pack along with the puffy for sure. I wouldn't mind picking up an extra heavyweight layer like the heavyweight hoodie or something equal to that. Any input is appreciated.

I currently have the following in regards to layers:
Lightweight - 3 synthetic long sleeve tops, 2 synthetic bottoms.
Midweight - Sitka midweight 1/4 zip, North face fleece full zip, First Lite Kiln top/bottom, Sitka Merino 330 bottom
Insulation - Sitka Kelvin puffy, Sitka Traverse hoodie

Just FYI a couple years ago second rifle in NW CO got down to 15 below. Be prepared and keep an eye on the forecast.

Yes, it can be cold in 2R, or you could be in a t-shirt, but probably a jacket...

Bring all your layers, leave them in the truck until you have a 2- or 3-day forecast and then pack accordingly.
I was planning on bringing all of my layers and doing exactly that once we get there to see what it may be like. Just would like to be prepared since I have never been to Colorado. Seems to be a whole other beast than here in WV.

You just won't know what it will be like until that week. Also depends on the elevation you end up hunting. @LuketheDog is right on - bring everything in the truck and use what you need.

I spike camp during 2nd season and I just have my baselayer, fleece hoodie, puffy pant/jacket, and a shell for a wind break. The shell maybe a rain jacket if there is a lot of moisture in the forecast.

if i was a betting man i'd bet on pretty mild/warm conditions.

bring the puffy suit and hand warmers though.

That time of year in the CO mountains in can be any sort of weather. I have hunted the units you are talking about a couple of times and one year it didn't get below freezing at night and was in the 60s during the day. The next year it was in the single digits at night and barely hit 40 during the day. I'd expect lows around 20 and highs around 50, but that is just a starting point. I usually go lightweight baselayer, fleece hoodie, midweight vest, puffy jacket and rain jacket. During the day, at some point you'll likely be in all of your layers and potentially just wearing your baselayer. I'd plan for some snow as well. Gaiters will be a blessing.

That country you are hunting is awesome by the way. It isn't the super high elevation stuff that CO is known for, but lots of big aspen stands, oak brush and parks/meadows. And, should be plenty of elk.

That time of year in the CO mountains in can be any sort of weather. I have hunted the units you are talking about a couple of times and one year it didn't get below freezing at night and was in the 60s during the day. The next year it was in the single digits at night and barely hit 40 during the day. I'd expect lows around 20 and highs around 50, but that is just a starting point. I usually go lightweight baselayer, fleece hoodie, midweight vest, puffy jacket and rain jacket. During the day, at some point you'll likely be in all of your layers and potentially just wearing your baselayer. I'd plan for some snow as well. Gaiters will be a blessing.

That country you are hunting is awesome by the way. It isn't the super high elevation stuff that CO is known for, but lots of big aspen stands, oak brush and parks/meadows. And, should be plenty of elk.
Thanks for the info, appreciate the input.

2nd season is hit or miss most years. Can be tshirt weather or 14" of snow and freezing cold. Really in the high altitude areas of Colorado you should be prepared for freezing temps and snow at any moment as the weather can switch on a dime. I have been at 10k+ wearing a tshirt in September and also had so much snow and cold that our llamas eyelashes froze together. Be prepared for anything. Here is a good story from last season from a guy that almost died, near Crested Butte.

@WVmike I know this thread is about clothes(and it looks to me like your good for the season), but I would make sure you have a good set of tire chains in your truck for 2nd season. They've saved me more than 1 tow bill in the past.

Also a +1 for the gaiters.

2nd season is hit or miss most years. Can be tshirt weather or 14" of snow and freezing cold. Really in the high altitude areas of Colorado you should be prepared for freezing temps and snow at any moment as the weather can switch on a dime. I have been at 10k+ wearing a tshirt in September and also had so much snow and cold that our llamas eyelashes froze together. Be prepared for anything. Here is a good story from last season from a guy that almost died, near Crested Butte.

Listened to this podcast last night actually. He's lucky to be alive.

@WVmike I know this thread is about clothes(and it looks to me like your good for the season), but I would make sure you have a good set of tire chains in your truck for 2nd season. They've saved me more than 1 tow bill in the past.

Also a +1 for the gaiters.
I have a pair of OR gore tex gaiters and I will be getting a set of tire chains prior to leaving for the trip. Do some places in CO require you to have chains in your vehicle during certain times of the year and certain locations? When I lived in CA they required chains in certain places and during the winter time. I will have a set of chains, but just curious.

I have a pair of OR gore tex gaiters and I will be getting a set of tire chains prior to leaving for the trip. Do some places in CO require you to have chains in your vehicle during certain times of the year and certain locations? When I lived in CA they required chains in certain places and during the winter time. I will have a set of chains, but just curious.
One of the Colorado guys can answer this better, but I think the chain requirements are just for commercial vehicles. There might be a tread requirement, but I would assume if your driving all the way from West Virginia your tires will meet that.:ROFLMAO:

One of the Colorado guys can answer this better, but I think the chain requirements are just for commercial vehicles. There might be a tread requirement, but I would assume if your driving all the way from West Virginia your tires will meet that.:ROFLMAO:
I would like to think so lol

Yep, here is your info...https://csp.colorado.gov/chain-law-information

Colorado has huge elevation range. Within a few miles it can be blizzarding up high, say above 10k, and mild or raining in the valley @ 7 0r 8k. It is useful to have a high, mid and low elevation set of options for your area not only because of access, also because elk can change elevation a lot, especially during late fall.

Colorado has huge elevation range. Within a few miles it can be blizzarding up high, say above 10k, and mild or raining in the valley @ 7 0r 8k. It is useful to have a high, mid and low elevation set of options for your area not only because of access, also because elk can change elevation a lot, especially during late fall.
Honestly I would like to keep it under 10,000 depending on the weather and how we both do with the elevation. Some of the places I've looked into were down to 7,000 up to a little over 10,000.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back