Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

.22 Pistol Recommendation

I’ve wanted to buy a .22 pistol forever but never justified it when I had the cash. I think I’d look hard at the Ruger MK series, personally I like the 22/45 versions best. Also the Taurus TX22 seems to be getting great reviews from what I’ve read. Like you, I’d want a lightweight option to above in my pack for camp meals so some of the big full size .22 pistol options absolutely do not interest me.
If you’re budget conscious, plinking with a .22 is way cheaper than plinking with a 9mm or just about any other caliber. I own a few .22 pistols and rifles for this very reason. Plus they are good for introducing non-shooters to shooting.

I like my M&P .22 because it has the same form factor as other M&P’s I own in other calibers.

I like the Glock 44 just on the basis that it’s the same size as the 19 and 48 that I had before my boating accident. Swap the sights over to match and you’re good to go.

Those heavy barreled Rugers can be super accurate, I wouldn’t mind adding one to the safe for squirrels.

hands down.. no questions asked... Ruger MK series or a Browning Buckmark.. I have both and both are equally accurate. Way more accurate than you would think. I have a MK 22/45 and really like it. I have a Browning Camper that shoots crazy good and is small enough to where I don't even notice I have it on me. Great little anything gun.

So here’s the deal. I own several pistols, but am by no means a pistol “guy.” Last spring I won a .22LR can at a banquet, and it should be here soon.

I’m thinking that a small, compact-ish, .22 pistol with a can would be great to throw in my pack with some subsonic ammo for grouse while I’m out elk hunting. Call the budget $500 tops.

Any recommendations?
Browning buckmark

Browning Buckmark with a lightweight Tac Sol barrel, 1.8# with the can on it...
D2D7A0BF-C5D2-4860-9262-4B638DEC876C_1_201_a.jpeg

If you’re budget conscious, plinking with a .22 is way cheaper than plinking with a 9mm or just about any other caliber. I own a few .22 pistols and rifles for this very reason. Plus they are good for introducing non-shooters to shooting.

I like my M&P .22 because it has the same form factor as other M&P’s I own in other calibers.
This is a big part for me. My concealed carry is a m&p shield 9mm. Pistol I carry hunting is a m&p 2.0 10mm. Pistol for plinking is a m&p 22. I like the fit of them and I've never had any reliability issues!

Browning and Ruger are the ONLY two options IMO. They are accurate and reliable. I’ve never had one not cycle subsonic ammo. Kids shoot them well too.
Stay away from Keltec.

@LuketheDog and greenhorns setup are freaking amazing.
Lately I’ve been packing the old trusty ruger single six.
Can’t wait to hear what you decide

Browning and Ruger are the ONLY two options IMO. They are accurate and reliable. I’ve never had one not cycle subsonic ammo. Kids shoot them well too.
Stay away from Keltec.

@LuketheDog and greenhorns setup are freaking amazing.
Lately I’ve been packing the old trusty ruger single six.
Can’t wait to hear what you decide
1728418783294.png

Back