.22 Pistol Recommendation

BackofBeyond

So here’s the deal. I own several pistols, but am by no means a pistol “guy.” Last spring I won a .22LR can at a banquet, and it should be here soon.

I’m thinking that a small, compact-ish, .22 pistol with a can would be great to throw in my pack with some subsonic ammo for grouse while I’m out elk hunting. Call the budget $500 tops.

Any recommendations?

With the subsonic ammo would a can even be necessary on a 22lr? My understanding is that sound barrier crack is most of the report we hear from 22s.

I’ve wanted to buy a .22 pistol forever but never justified it when I had the cash. I think I’d look hard at the Ruger MK series, personally I like the 22/45 versions best. Also the Taurus TX22 seems to be getting great reviews from what I’ve read. Like you, I’d want a lightweight option to above in my pack for camp meals so some of the big full size .22 pistol options absolutely do not interest me.

22/45 mark IV with a threaded barrel. Mine hasnt malfunctioned yet. Its boring accurate - hoping to get a red dot for it. Disassembly is easy unlike the previous generations.

I like some of the other 22s mentioned - but the ruger will always have mags, aftermarket accessories, and support from ruger if there are issues in the future.

The Keltec P17 is a great little piece for that role. Mines been reliable and you'll be hard pressed to find anything much lighter for packing around.

Not really sure you'd need to suppress it if you're already going subsonic. If you are already a Glock guy, I'd suggest the Glock 44. Same size as the 19 but polymer slide makes it much lighter. Alternatively, I might suggest the Ruger Wrangler revolver. The little FN 502 looks pretty sweet and comes suppressor ready but I've not shot one yet.

Have the m&p 22...it doesn't cycle subsonic reliably. Standard velocity works fine with a can. Also figure on a red dot or raised sights...I haven't seen a off-center 22 can. Can blocks you site picture with regular sights. Pick up a M&P 15/22 while your at it...great for plinking with .22 can

Back