Yeti GOBOX Collection

2024 Texas Whitetail

That was it other than cutting him up and packing him out. Seemed crazy that last year I probably had 6 trips back and forth sleeping in my truck instead of pulling the trailer down and this year I spent one night in the trailer and then was on my way home hauling it all back before lunch on opening morning.

I did get to work a few kinks out of the new trailer and my new to me Honda Pioneer does better at hauling things than the Rzr did. Not that I had to haul anything very far.

IMG_0279.jpeg
That's a 120 quart igloo cooler that I use for elk and it is more than halfway full. I plan on weighing the parts and pieces when I butcher him this week and see if I can back into how much he would have weighed on the hoof. I'm pretty confident he was 200+ which is pretty big for a Texas whitetail around where my property is.

I did put the tape on him and I kind of wish that I hadn't. It is very tough for an 8 point to score very well. I was guessing his g2's were close to 12" long and they were 11.5" and his brows are both over 6" and pretty much the same for his g3s. His first mass measurement was 5" on both sides but you lose a couple inches having to measure that last measurement out on the end of the main beam. Main beams were about what I expected and his inside spread was just over 18". Definitely an old warrior with notches out of both ears and scars on his face. I plan on sending he teeth in to get them aged and if he comes in at 7.5 like I expect he will be the 3rd buck I've harvested off this place that is 7.5 or older (the oldest was 8.5 aged by the lab).

I still took him to the taxidermist to get started on a shoulder mount. Not sure I'll have this much history with a deer again. It was a challenge to be going after one buck for so long.

Last edited:
Very cool story and deer congratulations!
Texas is a big place what region was this? Will be around Brownwood deer hunting next week hope it's not to hot.

Very cool story and deer congratulations!
Texas is a big place what region was this? Will be around Brownwood deer hunting next week hope it's not to hot.
Thanks. My place is a little north and west of Brownwood but probably only 100 miles or so. My place is about 30 miles Northwest of Sweetwater. They call it the rolling plains.

It's been cool in the mornings and then pretty warm in the afternoons but cools down quick again when the sun goes down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpecialJed
Back