2024 Gila early archery elk

mrcowboy

2024 GILA early archery elk hunt. I hit the cabin two days before the hunt to shoot few more arrows plus water the fruit trees. 2024 summer monsoon hasn’t been as good as the past few summers. I met the packer on the night of the 30th. We had some dinner and a few beers at their camp. Morning of the 31st we hit the trailhead to pack in. I set up camp that evening and just relaxed thinking about my plan for the next 14 days. Sometime after midnight I hear 2 bugles from camp. I slept in a bit the following morning with the initial plan of hitting a few tanks to check for water. Landscape was green as hell, but after a good day of walking, 3 of the 4 of the tanks that I walked to were dry. Kind of surprised. Back in late July nearby the water seemed good. Figured I’d just take it slow. I would listen for bugles in the am and maybe pinpoint someone going to bed. Day two I hiked to another tank in the dark. 830 am I hear bugle close. I sneak in and hear hooves on rocks. They were leaving the draw. Nice 6x6 with 8 cows. I had cow at forty yards, but I was thinking too early in the hunt. Walked down the draw to see where they were watering. Both tanks that were closest were dry. Chit, I’d better keep an eye on the two tanks that had water. Proceeded to sit one of them early and late, it turns out the elk were using them on their way out to feed at night and again back to their beds. Next day or two I would hear several bulls from midnight to 6am bugle. Early the third morning I was crossing a ridge to get to one of the dirt tanks with water. I hear 2 bugles but I’m not there yet. Figured they would water before they headed up to bed. Hustled over got into position and had a 4x4 at 50 yards but no shot at vitals. A much bigger bull was behind him crushing a tree. They both depart. I needed to sit there all day. I was worried someone else might make it into the tank and stake claim. That evening at 7, I hear bugling coming down the ridge. Bull is insight but he won’t come clear of several trees. He knows something isn’t right at the tank. Really nice mature bull. He walks off bugling. I decided that I will hunt this tank next few days rather than chase bugles or bugle and potentially push some animals out. It is damn hot and figured I’d play their routines at this point. High 80’s during the peak of the day. At this point in the hunt during my walks, I’d cow call occasionally but never had any responses. Too early for the calls to work. Maybe? I was within the 100-yard zone of one bull with cows. He was bugling and I figured being that close distance another bull bugle would piss him off. I bugled back …No he just walked. Glad we packed in 20 gallons of water. Nothing close to filter and it’s hot. Get to tank early in the morning on the 5th. Seems like bulls already passed thru in the early morning to the bedding area. Decide that I’m sitting all day. Day proceeds to show me deer, turkeys, squirrels, and tons of song birds. Getting antsy but convince myself to stay, I’ve Seen lots of bulls come in during the hot afternoons to sneak a drink. 6 PM I hear two different bugles coming down the ridge. 7PM first bull appears. Crushing some trees. Second bull behind him. Watch both rub junipers and they appear to be walking away. I sit still. The are slowly circling the tank. I’m hoping the wind doesn’t get weird. Wind kind of dies down a bit. I have one 25 yards behind me, but I cannot turn around without giving myself away. Second bull loops him. Keeps working the perimeter. Shooting light is diminishing. It’s been a hot day. He has to drink. He goes around me. Doesn’t smell me. I’m thinking chit this is going to happen. 7:50 he drops into tank 30 yards. I draw as he passes on juniper. Hold hold shoot. Hear good shoot. He runs up hill. I see a dark spot on his side. I wait and listen. No crash. Certain it was a good shot. After some time put on head lamp and look for blood and arrow. Nothing in terms of blood that I can see in the dark. I head up the draw where he ran. There is clear track for 100 yards in dust, but then hill side turns into rock. Can’t locate the track. Decide to come back at daylight. Camp is only 25-minute walk in the dark. Proceed to get little sleep but I know the shot was solid. Drink a small glass of rye whiskey and listen to distant bugle. Hit the tank at daylight and proceed to search same spots again. Turn left up draw where I last saw him stand. Grid the draw for an hour. Nothing. Bumped some deer. Go back to the turn and walk the other direction. Boom there he is, I walked within 50 yards of him last night in the dark walking back to camp. Take hand full of pics because I’m solo then get to work breaking him down. In-reach the packer that animal is down. She arrives that night after dark and we pack animal and camp out. Get back to truck at 3:30 am. I always wanted to hunt the wilderness solo. I got my chance. Damn happy.

Attachments

• 20240906_113214.jpg
    20240906_113214.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 37
  • 20240906_113142.jpg
    20240906_113142.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 40
  • 20240908_133211.jpg
    20240908_133211.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20240904_071756.jpg
    20240904_071756.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 40
Well done grasshopper...............LOL!
Need a bigger house now.
Can't wait for the in person day by day.

Very Cool!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulcedom
Back