PEAX Equipment

2024 California Bear

David Gough

Archery season starts in thirteen days, so lets get this thread started. @NVDesertHunter and I set cameras in late May and both had our firstborns come into our lives within a week. After surviving the newborn stage we checked cameras yesterday and the bears....aren't a big fan of our trail cameras in their home. Five of the eight cameras had been messed with by bears and two were broken. One camera was ripped in half and the bear tried chewing on the batteries.

It's looking to be a promising opener. Post your pictures, videos, stories, and questions here for the 2024 California bear season. I'll start with some screenshots of our videos.

A big bear I've been trying to catch up with for years is still alive.

boar away.jpg
boar front.jpgboarside.jpg

Similar looking sow on the same balsamroot bush.

sow.jpg

Different sow with just one cub.

sowandcub.jpg

Several bears hit this pond. The larger one is either a younger boar or older sow. Pond is now dry just like clockwork.

other1.jpg

other2.jpg

other3.jpg

Last but not least, we got our first bobcat on camera during the daytime.

bobcat.jpg

Attachments

• sow.jpg
    sow.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1
Good looking bears and a good spot you found!

Im not running cams this year but I hunt in an area with one of the highest concentrations of bear in CA. Will be hunting up high so no shortage of water. Usually run into them in the meadows though eating their greens. Late season we transition down low to find them from the migration corridors to the foothills. Focus on the manzanita and acorn patches.

Old trail cam pics from my high spots. Dates are irrelevant.IMG_7596.jpeg65516037652__3C430050-5439-4A3C-BD50-E4796DE6D229.jpeg

Good looking bears and a good spot you found!

Im not running cams this year but I hunt in an area with one of the highest concentrations of bear in CA. Will be hunting up high so no shortage of water. Usually run into them in the meadows though eating their greens. Late season we transition down low to find them from the migration corridors to the foothills. Focus on the manzanita and acorn patches.

Old trail cam pics from my high spots. Dates are irrelevant.View attachment 335378View attachment 335379
That's a nice boar in the first picture. We found some scat that was really fresh. Looks like the bear are still eating a heavy helping of greens and some insects. Some new (to me) berries are pretty prevalent this year. Look like raspberries. Maybe wineberries?

Last edited:
Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back