15x Binos vs Spotting scope

Trekker308

I’m looking to purchase an optic for future Arizona deer, elk, and javelina hunts. I’m not as focused on picking out trophies as I am with finding mature animals. I’m a newer hunter and care more about the food and adventure.

Would I be better off using high powered binoculars for extended periods of time or is the spotter more versatile for all my western hunts?

I already own a pair of Leupold BX-4 pro guide 10x42s. I’m looking at getting either Leupold BX-5 Santiam 15x56s or Vortex 13-39x56 spotter. Is there another optic in that price range you would prefer?

go 12x50s on a tripod and a chest pouch. 15x our heavy and bulky. Your spotter will be for finding/judging game@1-2 miles i.e. sheep

I feel that a spotter is a better use of weight/space in most cases. I dont feel like a high power bino would be as useful - but i suppose it depends on your area and how you hunt.

I feel that a spotter is a better use of weight/space in most cases. I dont feel like a high power bino would be as useful - but i suppose it depends on your area and how you hunt.

I'm guessing you have never used 12-15x binos to find deer in AZ?

@Trekker308 skip over the BX-5's and check out some 15x meoptas. I've seem them as low as $1k used and they are a lot of glass for the money. I have the 12x50s and have been very happy with them.

I used 11x45's. and carry a lightweight spotter. 15's are just too much for me. The problem with 15's is if you have to scan something like 200yds away its going to be almost impossible. Honestly, if you're under 500yds 15's might be too much. I'd run some 10-12's and invest in a lightweight spotter.

15's are only the correct optic in a very narrow specific hunting situations imo.

@Trekker308 skip over the BX-5's and check out some 15x meoptas. I've seem them as low as $1k used and they are a lot of glass for the money. I have the 12x50s and have been very happy with them.
That would be correct never hunted there.. just open country in WY/Mt. I have used 10 and 12s - and generally prefer 10s because i like to walk and glass and not always get the tripod out. The FOV gained by going to a 15x vs a spotter is 10-25%, depending on which spotter and bino you are looking at, doesnt seem worth it for the areas ive hunted.

Ive had success scanning with the spotter - at 15x minimum it still works well. My thought is that if i have invested the time to get the tripod out - i might as well have 45x (90x with phone optical zoom) to really check something out and/or zoom in to bedding areas and pick them apart.

Last edited:

Agree, I don’t carry a spotter much anymore. Some 10’s on the chest and these for glassing. IMG_2627.jpeg

Fwiw, using higher power binoculars is an acquired skill, and I believe also depends on your eyesight. I can use my 15x56s offhand to view animals hundreds of yards away. I usually use them on a tripod though. My wife has problems with even my 12.5x50s and much prefers my 10x42s. My usually hunting binoculars are 10s though which are much lighter. Note: these are all Tract Torics.

The spotting scope will require a tripod pretty much all of the time. The 15x56 will probably have quite a bit more field of view. They are also probably heavier than the 13x39 spotting scope.

I prefer 10's or 12's on my chest, with a spotter in the pack if needed. Often find myself leaving the spotter behind or it rides in my pack all day. I personally would not bring two sets of bino's.

try some sig sauer image stabilized binos before deciding. i put my swaro's away and use these all the time now. not as good of glass, but the image stabilization is amazing. and they are light.

I find that a 10x42 on a tripod can pick off animals further than I'm willing to walk many times. The tripod is the secret sauce for great visibility. I watched a herd of elk last week feeding 2 plus miles away.

It's been posted here before by many. A 10x42 will do what you need it to do 95% of the time. Spotters are for counting tines. Now that I have some time behind glass, I wholeheartedly agree. I own a 80mm and a 50mm spotter. 80 gets used for summer scouting and pics. The 50 will go on a bear hunt in the mountains. Anything else, 10x bino. I'm too weak to be carrying extra weight😁

Binos are heavy. I've gotta believe that 15s have some heft.

I love my 15s for glassing in Idaho and other western states. I first used them for Coues.

I use them for serious glassing - being able to pick out animals much easier than using the 8.5s or 10s on my neck. I can definitely report better animal numbers seen using a 15.

I have a spotter too and it has its place. If I’m looking for mature animals at long distances (miles) I’ll glass for it. Obviously use it to get a better look at a found animal.

IMG_4654.jpeg

If I bring a spotter it’s usually a swaro with the WA 25-50 eye piece. For hrs and hrs of glassing, I prefer less eye strain and find binos with 12-15x to be way easier to use. I’d probably cash them all in for some 12x50 NL pures at some point but for now I like having options. Antelope hunts and late season hunts in more open country is where it’s nice to have the spotter.

I’ve heard good things about the sig stabilizing binos as well. They’d be worth looking into.

I run the 15s as my main glass. As other have said they are a bit bulky and are heavy. When I set them up on the binos I really appreciate the set up. Saves me from having to get out the spotting scope.

I have a pair of 8x42 Swaro SLC Binos and Swaro ATM 65 spotter. I can do everything I want to do with that setup. If I was Coues deer hunting exclusively the pair of 12 or 15s might be nice.

You can get the Vortex Razor UHD 18x's for under $1,500 online with Cabelas right now. I still think the Swaro SLC's are much better.

Back