MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Suggestions for a quail gun?

Why the resistance to o/u?

Theres nothing like using one in the field. The lack of action (shortening) and the balance are just nice for shooting.
I understand the appeal, but the lead rooster (apparently can’t say @#)(#) bobwhite likes to get up late. And it’s more useful for other ventures, especially waterfowl. Plus I really, REALLY hate it when I work all day to jump huns/sharpies without a dog, and then can’t have that third shot.

I want the quail gun because I’m helping my dad improve a piece of ground in Missouri, and we now have at least one good covey in the fall. But also because I’ve been working and saving like a fiend for several years without really treating myself to anything nice.

Some great options already listed.

I've got a franchi 48AL that fits the bill perfectly. Recently acquired for about $300 from a bird hunting mentor who's aging out of the upland game. 20ga, 5.2-5.4 lbs (don't remember exactly but it's even lighter than my 20ga Beretta o/u). Mine has 26" barrel w fixed IC choke. As I understand it, same functional design as Browning A5.

lightest weight semi ever made, I think, wood and blue, 3 shots, and can be had for under $500 used.

I can't speak to much more, bc I haven't hunted it much yet, only shot it a few times, but my little bit of research seems like they're decently respected firearms. Hopefully get to test run it a bit this fall, seems like it'd be a great quail or grouse gun.

Can anybody recommend something that fits the bill without making you go broke?

But also because I’ve been working and saving like a fiend for several years without really treating myself to anything nice.
Wait a minute...now you're just throwing out confounding variables! :p

@fishing4sanity
I know you said 20 ga, but what about a Browning Sweet 16 or if you want the 20 ga just get an A5 in 20 ga

That new browning A5 20ga looks pretty damn cool
I inherited a model 11 16ga with poly choke- just not the biggest fan of squarebacks. Dad also has a “quail-safety” Belgian A5 12ga. Still remember chasing squirrels with that 16.

They are pretty, but not my favorite to shoot. That’s reserved for a thin-combed, half-ton Remington 1100. Hate carrying them all day, which is why I’m looking elsewhere.

Last few years I have been campaigning a 28 gauge O/U that weighs in at just 5 pounds. Have had good years and so so years. Quail populations are up and down. But, the little 28 has performed well, as long as I do my part. Pic is my little ten year old girl Belle. MTG

Attachments

• IMG_0864.jpeg
    IMG_0864.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0614.jpeg
    IMG_0614.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2505.jpeg
    IMG_2505.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 12
Last few years I have been campaigning a 28 gauge O/U that weighs in at just 5 pounds. Have had good years and so so years. Quail populations are up and down. But, the little 28 has performed well, as long as I do my part. Pic is my little ten year old girl Belle. MTG
Gorgeous gun! But I might have to pick your brain about training a pheasant lab to chase quail. My dad’s yellow couch potato is questionable on them.

Twice-barrel sub-gauges are popular here because planted birds need a handicap and wild birds are conserved.

Gorgeous gun! But I might have to pick your brain about training a pheasant lab to chase quail. My dad’s yellow couch potato is questionable on them.
My little Belle has hunted quail, pheasant and Hungarian partridge with equal success. Patience in training with repetition has payed dividends. She was started with pheasant wings as a puppy. Moved on to quail, wild quail, the following season. Ironically she has been hunted with pointers and has learned to point and honor on her own. She has done most of the learning on her own. BUT, she has been hunted a LOT for upland birds. Belle is the first lab that I have not waterfowl over. Gave up waterfowl in after more than 50 years of doing so. It’s a crap shoot when a person doesn’t have a dog professionally trained. I have owned labs and chessies. Belle is a jewel and spoiled terribly. Guess my suggestion is hunt your pup a lot. Time in the field is always a good education and a bonding experience.
BTW, not my 20 gauge CZ. I want one tho’. MTG

Attachments

• IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0807.jpeg
    IMG_0807.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0812.jpeg
    IMG_0812.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1444.png
    IMG_1444.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My quail guns, are the same as my turkey, and squirrel guns.

CZ 720. Gas operated semi auto.
TriStar 20ga pump.
Hawthorne .410 bolt action.

Don't screw around, look at Upland Gun Company, get fitted, you'll quit missing and have a gun worthy of passing on some day.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back