Stockys ultra carbon tikka vertical grip

Are you thinking you want more magnification than 15x? Or something else...
I think I’d like more than 15 but truthfully it’s probably not needed. It’s going be a hunting rifle and I don’t have a desire to shoot stuff more than 5-600 yards away. I’d expect shots that far to be extremely rare

If weight and cost were equal (they clearly aren't) I prefer the view of a 7-35 ATACR or 5-27 ZCO to the Maven, but I still generally stop at 15x on any of my rifles for my purposes. Hunting weight rifles I try to be 8-10x, but do creep up to 12x+ if needed to see the reticle clearly.

The bigger scopes are friendlier on 15x vs the Maven, but not enough to make them my choice for hunting.

The NX8 has a higher quality feel in hand (and should at about a 2x mspr price difference). The Maven has a better reticle for me for field use, I can effectively use it including it's wind holds at a lower power which is great. I like the splined turrets on the Maven vs using set screws on the NX8. The Maven has a less picky parallax (though the parallax knob is stupid stiff). I trust the NX8 better by reputation and by a larger volume of personal experience.

Just found this thread searching for @p_ham input on stockys being worth bedding or not as the inlet isn’t flawless on the rokstok that showed up today. Looks like I’m in good company with rings/scope setup. I think these UM highs will be good for me if I throw that leather cheek rest they are selling on it.
F4CA9ADC-AC7C-474B-A452-40F214724411.jpeg

Just found this thread searching for @p_ham input on stockys being worth bedding or not as the inlet isn’t flawless on the rokstok that showed up today. Looks like I’m in good company with rings/scope setup. I think these UM highs will be good for me if I throw that leather cheek rest they are selling on it.
View attachment 325425
It never hurts, but I'd shoot it first as long as your recoil lug sticks up enough.

It never hurts, but I'd shoot it first as long as your recoil lug sticks up enough.

Thanks for the input. Recoil lug seems fine thus far.

UM is basically doing what I asked for in your "Custom Gun Options" thread last spring, but offering with all the cerakotes, flutes, carbon, etc..

Every builder does their version of a m700 clone and most of em are yawners.

What I’d like to see is something designed purely for function without bullshit that adds cost. Use a tikka action because it’s cheaper than all the clones, runs better than most of them, and has a more reliable trigger than all of em.

Use premium steel barrel with something from a tikka lite to a rem magnum contour @ 18” long but belled at muzzle for 5/8” threads if contour is not heavy enough. No carbon or glitzy fluting that adds cost and increases odds of the barrel being finicky IMO. I think if you did runs of just these barrels in a few cartridges (more on that later) to make it more efficient you’d get buyers.

The real difference maker would be in the stock. Get someone to build a stock that’s actually designed around breaking good shots and managing recoil! Gunwerks magnus or nexus shape is a good basis to start with. Needs zero drop at heel, negative comb, flat toe to ride well on rear bag, a vertical grip that’s close to the trigger (lots of vertical grips leave me reaching still) with a nice thumb shelf, parallel fore end. Leave the channel open ala manners LRH or PH or how grayboe does it. That way it’s one single inlet for all Tikkas, allows flexibility with switching barrels and way less custom work needed. Don’t give a shit what it’s made out of. If it’s some plastic that meets weight and stiffness requirements, holds up well functionally, and keeps price down, fine by me.

Sell in 223 Wylde, 22 creedmoor, 6 creedmoor, 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5 PRC. Maybe 308 win, 284 win, 7 PRC, and some 6 BR variant (if you can be sure they’ll feed 100%).

Maybe offer some 22 or 24” barrel options of you must for the non suppressor guys.

The market would be people that use the rifle as a tool, strive to be better rounded rifleman, are going to beat it up an burn out barrels so they don’t want to waste $ on carbon everything or some super pretty flute job. Basically this would be similar to a gunwerks werkman without the scope or “system” schtick.

I’ll have tikkas like this in 223 and 6 creed soon with a spare 6.5 creed barrel. The piece that doesn’t exist yet is the stock. I’ll probably use Frankenstein’d factory stocks or KRG bravos until the right stock exists.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back