Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

****OFFICIAL****2024 SPRING BEAR THREAD

I’m happy to be participating in this thread this year. We are heading to Alberta in May to go on a hunt that was supposed to happen three years ago.

Talk about an understanding outfitter.

I hope to report back with a couple big archery bears.

I don't know if it's the early spring or what, but I'm champing at the bit this year to get out. I haven't out forth much effort on bears in MT in a while, but hope to this year.

I checked out a new hillside last week that I think has a lot of potential.

Bigboy.JPG
Been watching this guy for a couple of years now. He surprised me on this road last year at 50 yards, swirling winds were not on my side! I did take another nice bear last year from the same BMU. Really looking forward to getting after it again this spring!

I have been searching for May plane reservations to Idaho by way of Washington…

The main purpose of the trip would be a family visit, but, if I go, I would certainly try to get a couple of days of bear hunting in. For anyone looking for honey holes, I will probably try Unit 107.

If I actually go, do I take the rifle scoped by @William Christy, or do I try to use my dad’s 375 H&H that is already out there? The 375 may be cursed as I watched my dad miss a 5 point bull* with it twice (the spotter may have misjudged the range) and I missed a 5 point whitetail with it. On the other hand, maybe the third time is the charm.

*The 5 point bull was kind of a neat story. I ended up in Idaho at the same time as my dad’s Marine Corp buddy from Ohio. I took the buddy out one morning and spotted a bull a mile or so away. I asked the buddy if he wanted to go after it. He didn’t. I knew my dad would, so I went looking for him and actually found him. We got to a spot near where I had seen the bull and watched a small herd come out. Unfortunately, I misjudged the range and the bull just walked off after two misses.

I've never hunted bears or lions with dogs. Closest thing is running rabbits with beagles which I did alot of when I was a kid.

Looks like there were 8 dogs on the hunt. Is that an optimal number of dogs for a bear hunt? Is it the more dogs the better. I can't imagine running 8 dogs at once, 2 beagles were a handful.

I've never hunted bears or lions with dogs. Closest thing is running rabbits with beagles which I did alot of when I was a kid.

Looks like there were 8 dogs on the hunt. Is that an optimal number of dogs for a bear hunt? Is it the more dogs the better. I can't imagine running 8 dogs at once, 2 beagles were a handful.
The more dogs the better on bears in my opinion. I have hunted with 16 and guys I know have done more.You are right it can turn into a real crap show😂 I like 2 dogs on cats.

I have been searching for May plane reservations to Idaho by way of Washington…

The main purpose of the trip would be a family visit, but, if I go, I would certainly try to get a couple of days of bear hunting in. For anyone looking for honey holes, I will probably try Unit 107.

If I actually go, do I take the rifle scoped by @William Christy, or do I try to use my dad’s 375 H&H that is already out there? The 375 may be cursed as I watched my dad miss a 5 point bull* with it twice (the spotter may have misjudged the range) and I missed a 5 point whitetail with it. On the other hand, maybe the third time is the charm.

*The 5 point bull was kind of a neat story. I ended up in Idaho at the same time as my dad’s Marine Corp buddy from Ohio. I took the buddy out one morning and spotted a bull a mile or so away. I asked the buddy if he wanted to go after it. He didn’t. I knew my dad would, so I went looking for him and actually found him. We got to a spot near where I had seen the bull and watched a small herd come out. Unfortunately, I misjudged the range and the bull just walked off after two misses.

Take the 375 H&H! Break the curse! I say this as I inherited a beautiful walnut/stainless Safari Express 375 H&H and drew a late season Bull elk tag (with ZERO pts) in Hell's Canyon - Snake River OR. I took the 375 for the first 3 days, saw plenty of bulls, none within a range I'd shoot. After day 3 I started carrying my trusty 7mmrm. I did connect with a bull on the 5th day. Now I would really like to take a bear with the 375 but it's bear to lug around! 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back