Yeti GOBOX Collection

Kentucky Elk Draw 2024

beaglegun

Didnt get drawn again for the 15th time and i skipped a year so I dont get a loyalty draw chance. Sometimes I wonder???

I didn't watch the live stream so I get to hold out hope until the results go online tomorrow

After watching the draw a several years ago and seeing firsthand how unlikely it is for a NR to draw I was cured of applying there.To top it off, it doesn’t seem like that good of an elk tag.

The novelty of hunting elk in Kentucky would be cool, and it is a great success story. Congrats to anyone who was lucky enough to draw.

2% draw odds for residents of KY and 2.5% draw odds for WY draw Thurs
That's why as a resident I stopped trying and now put my money and applications out west. At least I can draw every few years. Should have started doing that years ago but didn't!

Ky had the best elk hunt in America as far as harvest and a chance for a trophy. Those days are long gone. If you draw a good regulated area it is still good. If not, you get to hunt a hog mess of autumn olive and sericea lespedeza and chiggers!!!! Most strip mines are nothing like they were early on. It is sad what happened. Stripped mountain tops become perfect for invasive trees that grow 10 times faster then natives. Burning is the only economical and effective way to control this but sericia wont carry a good flame. If it would of been reclaimed with native warm season grasses, fire would control these invasive foreign trees and created awesome elk habitat. To late now:(

If you draw a good regulated area it is still good.
I didn't draw a regulated area at all and thus it was beyond tough trying to find elk.

My wife still puts in and I have one more year until I'm out of the waiting period and if either of us ever draws again, we will not make the trip unless we get a decent regulated area

I didn't draw a regulated area at all and thus it was beyond tough trying to find elk.

My wife still puts in and I have one more year until I'm out of the waiting period and if either of us ever draws again, we will not make the trip unless we get a decent regulated area
I understand that ideology. Problem is, you gotta purchase permit b4 you apply for regulated area so you would eat the permit. I think its $100

If I was drawn in Kentucky and I paid for the permit and I didn't get a regulated area and I also got drawn in Wyoming or New Mexico I would eat the Kentucky tag if it conflicted! Shoula never got to this🤬🤬🤬🤬

I understand that ideology. Problem is, you gotta purchase permit b4 you apply for regulated area so you would eat the permit. I think its $100
Yup I'm fine with doing that. The tag isn't worth going if you don't get a regulated area

If eating a 100 is a worry on something like this I’d suggest finding a new game to play

I was lucky enough to draw a bull tag in 2022. Hunted a good regulated area. Tug fork. It was the hardest elk hunt ever. Had bulls within 30 yards couldn’t see them. I would never hunt Kentucky over another state. Not even otc archery Colorado. Hunted for 2 straight weeks got nothing. Went back in December and was successful. It’s not that good of a tag. If you don’t get a guide your chances are slim to none. I would still put in though. 🤣

Some pics. Thick as F. Zoom into the last pic. Interesting cats in Kentucky

Attachments

• IMG_4286.jpeg
    IMG_4286.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4279.jpeg
    IMG_4279.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4347.jpeg
    IMG_4347.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4215.jpeg
    IMG_4215.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5041.jpeg
    IMG_5041.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
All this because of poor mine reclaimation and letting invasive trees take over. I have heard elk are moving to Virginia to better habitat

I'm originally from Arkansas and so have become curious about details of Arkansas elk hunting and their plans for management of the elk herd. Plus, we have property in the "elk zone" which makes me hope for an increasing elk population where more elk are wandering around.

I'd be interested in hearing any insights into Kentucky elk management plans/goal

I notice that Arkansas issues less than 20 tags per year for public land hunts; maybe six bulls and the rest cows. A few of the tags are drawn at the annual elk festival where you have to be present to win...., I think that's a cool aspect.
So, my takeaways from Arkansas:
Core elk area is made up of four or five counties.
If you have private land within the core elk area, or permission to hunt private land within the core elk area, you can buy a tag for $5 and shoot one elk, either sex during elk season until the quota has been met. You have to call in every day to check on the elk quota. This is similar to Arkansas bear hunting where you check the quota daily and season is over once it is met.

It gets interesting when you consider how Arkansas treat elk when they are outside the core elk zone. If you are outside the elk zone, then you can shoot one elk per year, during any deer season and there is not a quota limit, nor is there a $5 permit fee, you just call in and report you harvested an elk during the very long deer season.
So, we own property that is entirely within the elk zone, but on one side borders a County that is not in the elk zone. We do get elk that wander through our area occasionally, since there area a fair number of elk in the County. So, it's kind of strange that our neighbors can shoot an elk anytime during deer season (6 months long), not pay a fee, and not call in for a quota check. While 10 yards away, we would be limited to elk season, have to call in for a quota check and pay the enormous $5 permit fee.

So, I gather that Arkansas is not trying to expand the elk herd?? Otherwise, why would they have a free for all shooting elk once they leave the range, without quota, limited season or fee? Arkansas has quite a bit of public land that could hold elk. I read a planning document on elk in Arkansas and it seems they have concern over some kind of brain worm transferred from deer as being a limiting factor along with road density, population centers and such. The elk planning document identified several areas where the elk could potentially expand. So, it seems like Arkansas plans on keeping the elk contained in geography. I hope to call the Arkansas elk biologist at some point to gather more info and long-term plans/thinking. Why wouldn't they want Arkansas elk to expand? The management plan article said they were opposed to translocating elk to new areas because of disease concern and concern with the brain worm being transferred from deer. The brain worm was such a concern that the plan eliminated areas of high deer density from being good elk habitat.

So, what's up in Kentucky? Do they have an elk zone? Do they protect elk outside the zone or seemingly want to exterminate them outside the core area? Seems to me they would protect the elk outside the zone, especially in Arkansas where most hunters are supportive of adding a large game species.

What are their plans for elk in WV and

All this because of poor mine reclaimation and letting invasive trees take over. I have heard elk are moving to Virginia to better habitat
We now have an elk hunt here. Only 5 or so tags this will be the third year. Small herd and it will probably never be close to KY numbers.

Results are posted to My Profile on Kentucky’s website. I was in for all three options…no dice

I'm originally from Arkansas and so have become curious about details of Arkansas elk hunting and their plans for management of the elk herd. Plus, we have property in the "elk zone" which makes me hope for an increasing elk population where more elk are wandering around.

I'd be interested in hearing any insights into Kentucky elk management plans/goal

I notice that Arkansas issues less than 20 tags per year for public land hunts; maybe six bulls and the rest cows. A few of the tags are drawn at the annual elk festival where you have to be present to win...., I think that's a cool aspect.
So, my takeaways from Arkansas:
Core elk area is made up of four or five counties.
If you have private land within the core elk area, or permission to hunt private land within the core elk area, you can buy a tag for $5 and shoot one elk, either sex during elk season until the quota has been met. You have to call in every day to check on the elk quota. This is similar to Arkansas bear hunting where you check the quota daily and season is over once it is met.

It gets interesting when you consider how Arkansas treat elk when they are outside the core elk zone. If you are outside the elk zone, then you can shoot one elk per year, during any deer season and there is not a quota limit, nor is there a $5 permit fee, you just call in and report you harvested an elk during the very long deer season.
So, we own property that is entirely within the elk zone, but on one side borders a County that is not in the elk zone. We do get elk that wander through our area occasionally, since there area a fair number of elk in the County. So, it's kind of strange that our neighbors can shoot an elk anytime during deer season (6 months long), not pay a fee, and not call in for a quota check. While 10 yards away, we would be limited to elk season, have to call in for a quota check and pay the enormous $5 permit fee.

So, I gather that Arkansas is not trying to expand the elk herd?? Otherwise, why would they have a free for all shooting elk once they leave the range, without quota, limited season or fee? Arkansas has quite a bit of public land that could hold elk. I read a planning document on elk in Arkansas and it seems they have concern over some kind of brain worm transferred from deer as being a limiting factor along with road density, population centers and such. The elk planning document identified several areas where the elk could potentially expand. So, it seems like Arkansas plans on keeping the elk contained in geography. I hope to call the Arkansas elk biologist at some point to gather more info and long-term plans/thinking. Why wouldn't they want Arkansas elk to expand? The management plan article said they were opposed to translocating elk to new areas because of disease concern and concern with the brain worm being transferred from deer. The brain worm was such a concern that the plan eliminated areas of high deer density from being good elk habitat.

So, what's up in Kentucky? Do they have an elk zone? Do they protect elk outside the zone or seemingly want to exterminate them outside the core area? Seems to me they would protect the elk outside the zone, especially in Arkansas where most hunters are supportive of adding a large game species.

What are their plans for elk in WV and
kdfwr does not want elk out of the areas in their management zone so you can shoot out of zone elk. I advise you get involved and make calls and dont let it go to shit like it has in ky. Habitat,habitat, habitat!!!! Also, in ky, kdfwr seems to be more concerned with adventure tourism then they are elk hunting. People come from everywhere to rip and rour on 4 wheelers on the strip mines and it brings way more money then we do.

You draw a bull tag and 10 razers come rippin right by you blastin crap music at 9am on opening morning!!!🤬🤬🤬

Back