Africa

WildWill

So April of 2023 our local RMEF had it's annual banquet. After the raffles and silent auction the finale was a auction for a African hunting package. The auctioneer was having a hard time so I bid a couple times just to try and drive the price up. Long story short I just returned from a 10 day hunt and had a absolutely amazing time. Such a good time I already booked another trip for 2026 with the wife and kids this time. I went with Ubathi Global safaris run by Ronald Bernard and his wife Caroline and it's a absolute class act. The food, accommodations, hospitality, and the vibe in camp were all first class. I can't wait to go back for a kudu, eland, and gemsbok.20240505_130620.jpg20240505_172515.jpg20240507_100002.jpg20240507_122200.jpg20240508_080837.jpg20240508_084740.jpg20240508_102034.jpg20240509_175232.jpg20240510_082721.jpg20240511_141308.jpg20240511_193303.jpg

Last edited:
My wife snacked my arm as I raised my bid # at our Kalispell RMEF banquet during my attempt to raise the bid. Haha!

Separate from the banquet;
Hunt partner and I have a South African hunt set this September. Bucket list to notch.

Grats on a great time! Appears you had a blast!

Last edited:
Congratulations, WildWill on your successful and enjoyable trip to the Dark Continent.

I encourage everyone to take hunting trips to such locations as New Zealand, South America, Africa, Asia and Mexico. Great hunting, nice people, and no waiting decades to attempt to draw a single tag. Overseas destination hunting is not for everyone and that’s fine.

Have fun on your return trip to Africa! Please look into joining DSC and SCI and attending the conventions. You will enjoy yourself and learn quite a bit. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

We went two years ago. We have a meeting scheduled with our finance guy to structure our retirement savings for a trip in 2025. Looking back I could have started going to Africa 10 years before I retired. I regret not doing so.
Go before it’s too late.
Will it sure looks like you had a good time, that is a fine looking Nyala you got there.

Congratulations on your trophies. I went last year and am trying to figure out when I can go back. There are just so many places to hunt and not enough time.

Looks like you had fun! Did you show them boys how to bbq?
I cook most nights here at home so I sat back and enjoyed being cooked for. Darlington the chef knew his business and I ate well. They did have a smokehouse for making biltong but most meat are cooked over mesquite coals. But I did cook small game appetizers one night. Me and my buddy were very impressed with the quail and especially the dove population so we took a shotgun out one evening to collect a few. They don't do much if any small game hunting over there. I also ran into these ground squirrels that look like a small grey squirrel. When I mentioned eating squirrels my trackers thought I was crazy. After commenting it was like the dark meat on chicken they became very interested in trying some. So on I took a 22 and collected a few. Made dove poppers, whole plucked spatchcocked quail, and pan fried squirrel quarters the last evening. Here's the "grill" pretty basic and the bread/pizza oven all ran on coals from the campfire.20240505_074437.jpg20240505_074431.jpg

Congratulations! Seeing your photos brings back a lot of memories. Did you take your own rifle or use theirs? What country were you hunting in? I've been fortunate enough to go twice and need to get the third trip into the planning stage at least.

Congratulations! Seeing your photos brings back a lot of memories. Did you take your own rifle or use theirs? What country were you hunting in? I've been fortunate enough to go twice and need to get the third trip into the planning stage at least.
We hunted in South Africa's Limpopo province by the Botswana border. To keep things as simple as possible on my first trip we rented guns. I killed all of my game with the exception of the blesbok with a 300 win mag Mauser shooting 180gr Partitions. The blesbok was killed with a 308. 150gr bullet my friend was using for the tiny Steenbucks. My friend also used a 30-06 Tika with 180gr Partitions for a couple of his animals.

Looks like you had a great time, and the Africa bug bit you as you have already booked your next trip. (y)

I went on my first African hunt in 2000 as a result of a SCI auction, then went back 5 more times. After my first trip, I decided to try to hunt different animals on each trip so each trip was either to a different place in South Africa or to different countries, like Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back