Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

30-06 starting powder choice

USAF Ret

Getting ready to start load development. HOWA 1500. 180 Nosler AB and Speer 168 Gold Dot. Hunter or IMR-4350?

The Speer is a 168. Thanks for the reply.

Yes I realize that, I just like using Speer data because they have data for lots of different powders, even the newer ones which can sometimes be hard to find. However, they did not have Hunter for 168 grain bullets. I also looked at Ramshot data and I'd be going with Hunter for both of your bullets.

Yes I realize that, I just like using Speer data because they have data for lots of different powders, even the newer ones which can sometimes be hard to find. I also looked at Ramshot data and I'd be going with Hunter for both of your bullets.
Much appreciated.

I started with Hunter. Thanks folks. I just hate having to clean up afterwards with ball powder. Haha.

Hunter and the 168 Gold Dots turned out pretty decent. I was doing 4-shot groups, but I had a bad piece of brass on this one and only got 3 shots. ES and SD were spectacular across the board. Other groups averaged about 1.2 - 1.4 MOA, but this one was a little better. Time to do some seating depth testing. The chamber is pretty tight, so I figure the groups may tighten up with a little more jump. This was at about .018 jump from the lands.

Garmin_60.5_Hunter_168 Gold Dot.jpgGroup_60.5 Hunter_168 Gold Dot.jpg

If you are looking for speed plus accuracy.
RL26 and Hammer Bullets is where you want to be.
Unfortunately, info is extremely scarce.

Back