Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Remington Rolling Block

Kaitum

My granddad had this old Remington Rolling Block on his wall for a long time. I'm not sure who gave it to him. It was gifted to me a few weeks ago. It's in pretty rough shape. The cleaning rod is stuck, the sights are broken. But the hammer spring is strong, the bore is decent, and the trigger works fine. I measure the bore diameter right at 0.5 inches so guessing that makes the cartridge a 50-70 Government. There is some writing on the barrel but I can't read it.

I live near a gunsmith who specializes in restoring single shot rifles. I'll take it to him and get his thoughts on cleaning it up. I might try my hand as refinishing the wood if I can get someone to clean up the metal. I'm not too interested in shooting it but would like to put it back on my wall like my granddad did for so many years.

PXL_20240407_152352574.jpgPXL_20240407_152345927.jpgPXL_20240407_152411222.jpg

Last edited:
Great rifles. It looks like you've got a solid one. Kurt outta be able to get it looking new again.

I took the gun to Kurt Hardcastle to look at today. That guy is an encyclopedia on rolling block rifles. He said the gun was made in Egypt in the late 1870s. That would explain the weird writing on the barrel I could not read. The cartridge is .43 Egyptian. The muzzle is worn out, thus I measured it larger than the bore and guessed wrong on the caliber. Kurt gave me some advice on cleaning it up, nothing too challenging. It won't look new when I'm done but at least the rust will clean up.

I did look up .43 Egyptian ammo online as Kurt suggested the rifle would shoot. $158 / box of 20. I'll just leave it on the wall at those prices.

One interesting item about the gun. The hammer had checkering to improve grip. It's almost completely worn smooth. Kurt said that's common for rolling block rifles from Egypt. Evidently the sandy environment and constant sand on soldiers' hands was abrasive enough to wear down the metal.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with following Kurt Hardcastle's advice. He can probably help with fixing anything that needs it.

Good luck with it. There is nothing quite like old guns.

Good enough for now. I'll order an original butt plate to replace what's on it now, an original rear sight, and a cleaning rod. The original cleaning rod on this gun is bent and doesn't slide in the holding groove very well. The rust cleaned up well. The wood is still rough but it is a 150 yr old gun after all. I cleaned the wood with 0000 steel wool and Murphy's oil soap. Then wet sanded it with antique oil and fine sand paper. The steel I rubbed with steel wool and 3:1 oil. PXL_20240509_003517596.jpgPXL_20240509_003536376~2.jpgPXL_20240509_003544407.jpg

Good enough for now. I'll order an original butt plate to replace what's on it now, an original rear sight, and a cleaning rod. The original cleaning rod on this gun is bent and doesn't slide in the holding groove very well. The rust cleaned up well. The wood is still rough but it is a 150 yr old gun after all. I cleaned the wood with 0000 steel wool and Murphy's oil soap. Then wet sanded it with antique oil and fine sand paper. The steel I rubbed with steel wool and 3:1 oil. View attachment 325636View attachment 325634View attachment 325633
Looking good! Talk to Kenn at rollingblockparts.com about your replacements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back