Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Renewing Wolf Talks with Feds

mightyhunter

I read an AP release today that was very interesting. It would appear that the Wyoming Governor will be soon meeting again with Ken Salazar in an attempt to reach a final agreement on the status of the wolf in Wyoming. I hate to be reading tea leaves on all this, but it does sound like something concrete may happen this summer on the wolf issue. Obama's nominee to head the USFWS is Daniel Ashe. Wyoming's Senator Barasso was holding up his nomination to head the USFWS. Senator Barasso has just agreed to lift this hold on Ashe's nomination. Senator Barasso's lifting of the hold on this nomination has all the indications of a political "quid pro quo". A quote in the press release essentially states that. The release also states that Daniel Ashe will be involved in those negotiations. This would be great for Wyoming if this could be finally resolved. Perhaps, BIg Fin has a little more information knowledge on this subject.

Read the same thing. Not sure what is up with that. If I had to guess, a deal is already lined out, but there is some political details that need to be taken care of.

I have this strange feeling that when they meet, lots of pictures will be taken, much pomp will occur, and both parties will leave the meeting shaking hands and talking about how great it is to work with such wonderful people. :rolleyes:

Then the agreement will be scrutinized by half-assed uniformed media types convinced of impending doom by the attorney-led plaintiffs lined up to take a crack at the WY plan and this agreement.

If you hear anything, keep us updated.

I would say that all are serious about resolving this. However, I am not sure WY and the Fed can come to terms at the moment.

Then again; Nixon, China, and all that.

The meeting will take place next week. The Senator Barasso hold on the appointment of Ashe to head USFWS has apparently been the impetus for the meeting. It looks like the meeting will take place before the Ashe appointment takes place. Who knows. It sucks that all this political crap interferes with a scientific approach to the situation.

The meeting is scheduled for Thursday, July 7th, 2011. The article I read, stated that they will be discussing where wolves can be hunted. I assume that this means the trophy zone with tags and quotas and the predator zones. That has always been the sticking point with Wyoming. I can't see Wyoming abandoning the predator zones at this point in time.

Until they start putting wolves on the dirt, its all bs...In the mean time tags keep dropping in numbers and herds get hammered...:mad:

According to an Associated Press release the U.S Government and wyoming are close to reaching a deal. over how to end federal protections for wolves in Wyoming. The deal would include the predator zones and trophy zones that Wyoming has always pushed for. Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar said "the wolf population has clearly recovered in the region and he expects to publish a rule by the end of September detailing how to turn over management of Wyoming wolves to the state". As part of the deal, Wyoming has agreed to keep at least 100 wolves alive in areas outside YNP. Apparently, Wyoming wants to create a "flex zone" on an undetermined amount of land south of the Snake River in SW Wyoming. Wolves would be protected and free to migrate through the area in winter but left unprotected other times of the year.

As a side note the article states that Rep. Cynthia Lummis previously announced she is pushing legislation to specify that any deal between Wyoming and the U.S. government over lifting wolf protections would be exempt from judicial review.

Michael Robinson as a spokesman for the Center for Biological Diversity stated:
"Very likely they're going to kill off almost half of the wolves in Wyoming and that must not be insulated from judicial review". This group is a Plaintiff in the lawsuit currently in front of Judge Molloy that is challenging the "wolf rider". Apparently the Defenders of Wildlife also don't like what is being proposed.

The best quote from the meeting is from Governor Mead. He stated the following:
"What we don't want to do is for the Fish and Wildlife Service and Wyoming to agree on a plan and then spend years in court in no man's land" NO KIDDING!

An agreement with the Feds is necessary and so is the proposed legislation. One without the other is pointless.

What say you Ben Lamb?

"I remain cautiously optimistic. "
As do I.. I read that Sublette and Lincoln County (where I reside) will be "flex zones' where the wolves can not be taken in the Winter but can be the rest of the year. If a wolf can be shot on sight in Douglas, Casper or Hullette all year.. well I'm in!
We will have them in Yellowstone and border areas forever now. I am happy with limiting the expansion.

Let me add I know wolves have destoyed elk herds in the Cody area and hope the new plan allows for bringing that into check, that must be fixed!

The deal that Wyoming and the Feds have on the table will allow for limited harvesting of wolves even in the trophy zone during the winter months. It is likely that this harvesting will only be allowed by wildlife officials to address specific problem wolves and the like which is similar to what exists there now in the trophy of flex zone area around YNP.

If I had to guess, a deal is already lined out, but there is some political details that need to be taken care of.

I have this strange feeling that when they meet, lots of pictures will be taken, much pomp will occur, and both parties will leave the meeting shaking hands and talking about how great it is to work with such wonderful people. :rolleyes:

Then the agreement will be scrutinized by half-assed uniformed media types convinced of impending doom by the attorney-led plaintiffs lined up to take a crack at the WY plan and this agreement.

I am sticking with my earlier prediction above. :D

Big Fin,
I was looking at this with some optimism. Can they have a photo opportunity if they accomplish nothing but just talk about it?

To be done:
1. determine the location of the "flex zone"
2. wait for Salazar to publish a rule in late September
3. a rookie legislator (Lummis) must pass a bill to limit judicial review
4. Judge Molloy has to issue favorable ruling on the "wolf rider" after a hearing on July 26th

Piece of cake. No worries.

The politics work on this one. If the plan is defensible, and WY agrees to manage wolves in accordance with state and federal laws, then getting a rider would be easier. If it gets bunged up in politics, then it will crater.

It is my understanding that the State of Wyoming and the Federal Government have just reached an agreement that will delist the wolf and turn management over to the state. The agreement involves predator zones and trophy zones but I am not aware of the exact parameters and limitations for each zone. The agreement must be approved by the state legislature. I believe that this agreement could be adversely damaged by a contrary ruling from Judge Malloy in the dispute over the "wolf rider". That case was argued July 26th, 2011.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jassonolive
Back