Kenetrek Boots

Wyoming Cow Elk

icefish

Hello everyone, just a quick little intro about myself. I've been a member of this site since 2010 but haven't ever started a thread before. I live in ND and I drew my ND 'once in a lifetime' elk tag back in 2004. Shot a smaller 6x6 bull, but super happy with it. Since then, I have only hunted elk once, and that was last year in MT. Another guy and I had tags and he shot a smaller bull. I went home empty handed, but i did end up missing a cow. Still not sure how I missed. I didn't draw Montana this year, so I'll keep applying.
So my question is - I ended up drawing a Wyoming cow elk tag for unit 61-7, a cow/calf leftover tag. When I applied, I applied with the intention of using an outfitter, which I do still plan on using, unless I get some different feedback from some of you. I started having second thoughts about using the outfitter and trying a 'do it yourself' hunt just for the fact that it's more rewarding in the end, but I do want to end up with some meat, hopefully, when it's said and done. Am I better off using the outfitter or try a 'do it yourself' hunt? From what it sounds like, access can become an issue and there is a lot of private ground in the unit. Just curious if anyone had any thoughts, or if you have hunted the unit in the past but no longer hunt this unit and have any incite to access issues or overall how the unit is. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to post on the thread. Thanks, and I look forward to reading your responses.

I think it really depends on how much public huntable land is in the area. If the outfitter has access to private it could change the experience for you and remove the frustration of crowding on sparse public land. If it were me, I would look at the unit and if I can form a good plan A,B, and C of where to hunt public, I'd go without the outfitter. If you have no idea where to go then the outfitter may be the better option.

61-7 tag means your likely getting a outfitter or paying a trespassing fee. If you wanted DIY you should of got the -6 tag. I imagine theres more -7 tags still available, if you want to make trip worth it.

Last edited:
61-7 tag means your likely getting a outfitter or paying a trespassing fee. If you wanted DIY you should of got the -6 tag. I imagine theres more -7 tags still available, if you want to make trip worth it.
Yeah, When i applied for the tag my intentions were to go with the outfitter and most likely still will. Just thought i would ask and see what people suggested. Thanks for the reply.

061-7Sep. 1 - Dec. 21-Cow or calf valid on or within one-half (1/2) mile of irrigated land or north of and including the Rawhide Creek drainage

Access says "Fair", which from my experience, usually means I can find an animal, but that access description may not be for the 61-7 hunt area in northeast portion of area. Call game warden. He may have landowner info. Looks like you cant hunt Pitchfork HMA

Last edited:
My dad drew the 91-7 cow elk permit which is only valid south of 239 and west of 89 off of national forest. Looks to be very limited state and BLM land in this area and imagine we will have to do some door knocking to try to get him his first elk.

Does anyone know of any outfitters in this area or ranches that offer trespass fee options?

My dad drew the 91-7 cow elk permit which is only valid south of 239 and west of 89 off of national forest. Looks to be very limited state and BLM land in this area and imagine we will have to do some door knocking to try to get him his first elk.

Does anyone know of any outfitters in this area or ranches that offer trespass fee options?
17213042053228001036519218602484_1431826833056820.gif

Hello everyone, just a quick little intro about myself. I've been a member of this site since 2010 but haven't ever started a thread before. I live in ND and I drew my ND 'once in a lifetime' elk tag back in 2004. Shot a smaller 6x6 bull, but super happy with it. Since then, I have only hunted elk once, and that was last year in MT. Another guy and I had tags and he shot a smaller bull. I went home empty handed, but i did end up missing a cow. Still not sure how I missed. I didn't draw Montana this year, so I'll keep applying.
So my question is - I ended up drawing a Wyoming cow elk tag for unit 61-7, a cow/calf leftover tag. When I applied, I applied with the intention of using an outfitter, which I do still plan on using, unless I get some different feedback from some of you. I started having second thoughts about using the outfitter and trying a 'do it yourself' hunt just for the fact that it's more rewarding in the end, but I do want to end up with some meat, hopefully, when it's said and done. Am I better off using the outfitter or try a 'do it yourself' hunt? From what it sounds like, access can become an issue and there is a lot of private ground in the unit. Just curious if anyone had any thoughts, or if you have hunted the unit in the past but no longer hunt this unit and have any incite to access issues or overall how the unit is. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to post on the thread. Thanks, and I look forward to reading your responses.
been a while since i`ve been up there but rosemary's ridge is where i killed my first elk , camping after the pitch fork ranch a good place to get a opening morning shot .

Back