Wildgame meat transported back into the US.

maxracx

Gun is sighted in, bow is tuned, clothes are packed. I am 95% ready for my OIL Alberta moose hunt. I leave in 39 days and Today, I received a note from my outfitter telling me that the USDA has just come down with some boneheaded law restricting/limiting a successful hunter from only bringing back 50 lbs of meat across the board back into the US. Someone please tell me this is a sick internet joke!!!

Obviously, one of the main reasons to go moose hunting or any big game hunting is to fill our freezers. I sure hope he got his signals wrong. Anyone with current factual information please post what you know. Thank you!!!

BTW, this only pertains to someone driving across the border. If a hunter was flying they could pay the extra baggage fees. As a last resort, we will have to ship our meat at much expense.

Gun is sighted in, bow is tuned, clothes are packed. I am 95% ready for my OIL Alberta moose hunt. I leave in 39 days and Today, I received a note from my outfitter telling me that the USDA has just come down with some boneheaded law restricting/limiting a successful hunter from only bringing back 50 lbs of meat across the board back into the US. Someone please tell me this is a sick internet joke!!!

Obviously, one of the main reasons to go moose hunting or any big game hunting is to fill our freezers. I sure hope he got his signals wrong. Anyone with current factual information please post what you know. Thank you!!!

BTW, this only pertains to someone driving across the border. If a hunter was flying they could pay the extra baggage fees. As a last resort, we will have to ship our meat at much expense.
I would see if there is a shipper in a town on the canadian side that will ship to you in the next town on the US side

Kind of defeats the purpose of driving to save money! Per vehicle, not even per person!

How about looking into shipping it across the border somewhere close where you can pick it up and continue driving.

So if the meat is in the trailer and not the vehicle, I'm good, right?!?

Brought to you by the same fools who didn't want dead MIGRATORY waterfowl coming across the border because it could spread avian diseases. SMDH.

I’d call the border station you plan on crossing at and have them verify. Name and date of officer you talk to, if it’s news you want to hear.

Could be a gamble, but I crossed last year at 1am and the staff working didn’t seem concerned about anything in my car other than my rifle, and even then they were watching TV. They didn’t even look in my car, just asked me to bring my gun in. I might try doing the same, and worst case, drive back and forth a few times (I am guessing enforcement is dependent on the person you get as you cross and their mood for the day).

One good thing is in my probably more 20 boarder crossings from canada to the US with game I have never once had them look at the meat.
I hand them the form, they stamp and I go…

says “ Bear, Hide, skull, meat”
moose, antlers, meat ect ect

In Alberta you’ll need to go to a
Alberta Environment & Protected Areas office and request a form to transfer it over the border.

Otherwise, you will not be allowed to drive it back to the USA.

They are only open M-F so plan accordingly.

Bay 15, 2221 41 Avenue NE, Calgary, AB T2E 6P2

Main: 403-297-6674

Good luck on the hunt!

As said above, call the US Customs station where you plan to cross. Ask to speak with a supervisor. The CDC (yup, the ones that handled COVID so well) recently set some ridiculous rules regarding returning from Canada with your dog. I called The US Customs POE where we cross. I was advised they would not be following the CDC guidelines as US Customs have a different focus and threshold of a perceived health threat. In their eyes , it was business as usual. Neither we nor our friends who returned from Canada with their dog through a different POE were asked if we were in compliance with the new CDC rule.

Skirting the law will give you some prison time.
I'm not saying to skirt the law, i'm saying find a shipper that is close and will only have to ship it 50miles or less so it will be less expensive. Use the technicalities of the situations, also checkout forums of people going moose hunting in newfoundland many drive up there yearly just for the reason to bring back freezers of meat so there should be a few states with politicians that are getting an earful and can get the ball rolling to change

I am facing the same question as I leave for a moose/caribou hunt in less than three weeks and fully plan to bring back as much of the meat as I can. I will cross in Montana so called the Sweetwater office. The 50 lb limit applies to farm-raised animals (beef, pork, etc.) and not wild game. There is no limit on wild game. This came from CBP and from US Fish & Wildlife that has to inspect the meat/license info as I talked to both. If you are hunting farm-raised moose/deer/etc. then this limit may apply. So yes, rationale thought does exist out there.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back