Weather Advice - Not Sure How to Interpret Forecast

TexAg09

Good morning everyone! I was just wondering how you would interpret this forecast (below). It's for the closest town (to the west) of where we will be hunting, and it's at roughly 6K' in elevation. We'll be hunting around 9K' in elevation. I usually figure about a 4F degree drop in temperature for every 1K' rise in elevation. Do you think that's a good rule of thumb? Do you think we'll see some freezing rain/possibly snow based off this forecast? Coming from the south I normally don't deal with much if any weather like this, so trying to get myself and gear ready. I've usually been lucky with weather on my hunts and it's either been cold or wet, but not both! Thanks in advance!

1726060739679.png

Plan for the worst and hope.
Hard to tell....where,which town? It's fall.
Snow can come any time at high elevations.

I was in western Wyoming for a week in mid August. Rained almost every afternoon including some hail. High chance you'll have to deal with it on your hunt from that forecast. Just be ready and if you see it rolling in setup a tarp get the rain gear on and sit tight it'll pass. You gotta be careful getting soaked in Temps like that can get unpleasant fast especially for us southerners.

you don't have to just wonder what the forecast will be like at 9k based off the nearest town.

here's a forecast for a town at 6000 feet in colorado with nearby hunting at 9k feet - https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.5124&lon=-107.5472

now, scroll down to the map on the right and click wherever you want on the map and the NWS model will spit out a forecast for that exact spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back