UK Transportation of firearms..doing my head in!

devon deer

You are a very lucky lot living where you do.
The hurdles i am going throught to get our rifles over the pond.
I apply for a temporary import permit from the US, as expected no problem, dealt with in a timely manner.:D
Ask Delta airlines some questions about conditions and price, nightmare, it must have taken at least 7 emails to get a answer, but now we are getting somewhere, $100 each way!
I go to book our train from home to Heathrow airport, and we come up against another hurdle, some guy in India on the helpdesk (joke!) tells me we cant take our rifles on the train.
I search on the internet and find he got his facts wrong, i contact him again and advise him of this, 'oh i am velly velly sorry you are right, but you can't bring a rifle case on board as it is too big!':mad:
I suppose we could throw some stones at the deer and elk!
Rant over, looking into renting a bloody car now.
Cheers
Richard

Never heard of them charging to fly guns on a plane.The temp permit is a must no atter what country you go to.I went to Africa this past spring and know all to well what a hassle bringing guns into another country is all about.It will all be worth it in the end though.Enjoy your trip!!

Ahh at least renting a car "SHOULD" be pretty simple. At least it is here ;)

Still bringing your fly rod n reel?
Hope that "case" isn't too big as well... haha!
Bet you have a nice multi breakdown - packable type... never really tried one... 2 piece sits just fine in my truck.

Anyhow best of success in your ventures! Hope your trip smoothes out once here! Check with US Customs and Border Protection once you arrive regarding a CBP FORM 4457 for your rifle(s) and any high dollar scopes...

Still bringing your fly rod n reel?
Hope that "case" isn't too big as well... haha!
Bet you have a nice multi breakdown - packable type... never really tried one... 2 piece sits just fine in my truck.

Anyhow best of success in your ventures! Hope your trip smoothes out once here! Check with US Customs and Border Protection once you arrive regarding a CBP FORM 4457 for your rifle(s) and any high dollar scopes...

Yep, Orvis TLS 4pc 9' 6 weight already packed in the rifle case.
Not sure what the form you refer to is or why we need it.

Problem solved with transport, we have rented a car, screw the rail firm, they have just lost out on our money which amounts to over $300!

Cheers

Richard

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/register_items.xml

Just a little bit of preventative medicine regarding import fees/taxes. Proves you owned the merchandise before your trip, and therefore owe no duty.

Agree. Though I take it you already have the atf form 6 so I suppose that would suffice. Though if high dollar scope, the 4457 would be highly recomended as the atf form 6 does not detail scopes.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...r-ammunition-to-the-u.s.-for-hunting-purposes

The CBP form 4457 may also be used for any high dollar cameras, etc. It is apermanent small form that people usually laminate and simply keep in their case though is void if alterations, i.e. changed scope occurs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back