Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

This Domestic Sheep Buyout Came Up on my Feed

Do away with the BS sheep meat, and wool subsidies. Things will start to remedy themselves.

“Brown said the jury is still out on the science of whether domestic sheep transmit diseases to bighorns.” ...he must have missed the scientific jury’s decision.

Please, tell us all about these subsidies
Just as an example, It looks like this individual received $180,375 in subsidies since 1995. The information is very easy to find. Its astounding what some of the big outfits recieve.
My solution is simple. If your sheep aren't profitable, without taxpayer funded welfare, get rid of the damn things.

The wool subsidy in America ended in 1993, almost 30 years ago.

Can you point me to a meat subsidy paid after 2011? I can't find data past that.

1995 was a long time ago.
If that was spread out evenly every year, (it's not) $180k would equal about $7k a year, hardly enough to be the deciding factor on the success of a large scale ranching business.

These long standing, generational outfits are profitable due to multiple factors, the biggest being owning their home ranch outright.
Farming/ranching is a tough game to buy in to today.

What is criminal to me is what they pay for the grazing allotments. That is just laughable. (If you want to call that a "subsidy", I sure couldn't come up with an opinion against it.)
Ask any private land owner if they will accept the same payment that the government does for their grazing rights and see what they say.

As far as anyone saying that the "jury is still out on the science" regarding disease transmission from domestic sheep to bighorns just sounds like someone on the payroll to me.

The wool subsidy in America ended in 1993, almost 30 years ago.

Can you point me to a meat subsidy paid after 2011? I can't find data past that.

1995 was a long time ago.
If that was spread out evenly every year, (it's not) $180k would equal about $7k a year, hardly enough to be the deciding factor on the success of a large scale ranching business.

These long standing, generational outfits are profitable due to multiple factors, the biggest being owning their home ranch outright.
Farming/ranching is a tough game to buy in to today.

What is criminal to me is what they pay for the grazing allotments. That is just laughable. (If you want to call that a "subsidy", I sure couldn't come up with an opinion against it.)
Ask any private land owner if they will accept the same payment that the government does for their grazing rights and see what they say.

As far as anyone saying that the "jury is still out on the science" regarding disease transmission from domestic sheep to bighorns just sounds like someone on the payroll to me.

I eat sheep. Nothing finer tgan mutton in a Dutch oven. We ate 7 of them in our camps last year.

My extended family was one of the largest sheep outfits in the country at one time(skyline in Utah).

There ain't much money in sheep now days. And as was pointed out, there ain't much subsidy.

If grazing allotments can be bought, great.

We lost an entire nursery flock off Antelope Island last year. Theirs no grazing allotments within 100 miles.

I fully support grazing. And I fully support buying allotments to separate domestic and wild.

Theres no summer allotments within 100 miles of antelope island but there is an outfit that winters across the mudflat SE of the island. Plus all the 4H sheep scattered around those areas.

Theres no summer allotments within 100 miles of antelope island but there is an outfit that winters across the mudflat SE of the island. Plus all the 4H sheep scattered around those areas.
I know the grazing permit on the Stansbury Mtns was changed from sheep to cattle and California sheep relocated there from AI. The only winter sheep I recall in that country is way west of AI.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back