Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sleeping Pad Comfort

KayakMacGyver

I've been running a Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated Air Pad for 6 years. It's been very durable and I have no complaints about the quality.

Comfort wise, I'm looking to improve. The pad is only 2 inches thick, so I have to inflate it to max pressure or I hit the ground when I'm sleeping.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a super comfortable backpacking sleeping pad? I'm willing to sacrifice weight here for comfort.

I've been looking at the Thermarest NeoAir Xlite NXT. It's 3 inches thick, but I'm not sure if that's going to make the difference compared to what I have now.

The Sea to Summit Ether light looks like it might check all of the boxes, although going backwards in R value. I'm particularly curious about a rectangle shaped pad as an added point of comfort. At 4 inches thick, this thing sounds plush.

This pad is going to be used for early/mid season hunting 95% of the time, so I want to avoid high r value if possible.

Appreciate any input!

Last edited:
Be sure to check it out in person. I have a Synmat Hyperlite, which is light and comfy, but louder than the old Sunchips bags. I have to wear earplugs or I wake myself up every time I shift my weight.

I have the exped synmat hl standard wide, no longer made but theres similar. Its quiet and comfortable but I have touched the ground on it, not 3" thick. Medium r-value. ~16oz

I switched to a quilt and bought the new Thermarest NeoAir NXT long (not the xlite). High r-value, also quiet, thicker and comfortable. Id just get this and use it year round even if you want an early season pad. It wont ruin your nights sleep by being too warm and it weighs as much as any other similar sized pad with the added bonus of a high r-value. ~18oz An extra ounce or so is very worth it vs the xlite and warmth=comfort to me.

I have the exped synmat hl standard wide, no longer made but theres similar. Its quiet and comfortable but I have touched the ground on it, not 3" thick. Medium r-value. ~16oz

I switched to a quilt and bought the new Thermarest NeoAir NXT long (not the xlite). High r-value, also quiet, thicker and comfortable. Id just get this and use it year round even if you want an early season pad. It wont ruin your nights sleep by being too warm and it weighs as much as any other similar sized pad with the added bonus of a high r-value. ~18oz An extra ounce or so is very worth it vs the xlite and warmth=comfort to me.

Have you camped with this in early season weather yet? 7.3 R Value seems like it's gotta be HOT to sleep on in September.

Have you camped with this in early season weather yet? 7.3 R Value seems like it's gotta be HOT to sleep on in September.
Yea multiple times when it was sunny, 70s during the day and 50s at night. Used my 20* quilt and yes I was warm but mainly from the sleeping bag. Just let some air draft in and I was comfortable. I do have a cheap light sleeping bag Ill have to try with it, along with a base layer next time its very mild out.

You in a sleeping bag or quilt?

Ive also just fully unzipped my old sleeping bag on my old pad when I got too hot, but its never the pad doing it, always the bag. I wish I had the budget for a nice warm weather sleeping bag too.

Thermarest Neoair Xtherm NXT in size wide. Wish I had picked this up years ago. It’s a total game changer for me in terms of comfort in the backcountry. I’m not a big guy, 5’ 10” and 150lbs, but I do shift a lot while sleeping and because of that the wide size is the way to go for me.

Yea multiple times when it was sunny, 70s during the day and 50s at night. Used my 20* quilt and yes I was warm but mainly from the sleeping bag. Just let some air draft in and I was comfortable. I do have a cheap light sleeping bag Ill have to try with it, along with a base layer next time its very mild out.

You in a sleeping bag or quilt?

Ive also just fully unzipped my old sleeping bag on my old pad when I got too hot, but its never the pad doing it, always the bag. I wish I had the budget for a nice warm weather sleeping bag too.

I have a completely opposite approach. I carry a 0 degree down bag pretty much year round. When it's warm, I throw it over me like a blanket and when it's cold, I'm able to wrap up and have stayed very warm down into the low single digits, even though my current pad is only 3.1 R value.

I fear with a pad that has such a high r value like the x therm that I'd never be able to escape over heating.

I have a completely opposite approach. I carry a 0 degree down bag pretty much year round. When it's warm, I throw it over me like a blanket and when it's cold, I'm able to wrap up and have stayed very warm down into the low single digits, even though my current pad is only 3.1 R value.

I fear with a pad that has such a high r value like the x therm that I'd never be able to escape over heating.
Not too different. Since I only can afford one setup, it's a cold weather setup that I carry year round as well. I do have the quilt so I have to have a warm pad, but not if its warm out. My quilt is a 20* with overstuff so technically a 10* if you go by down weights.

If you want a do all sleeping pad, the xtherm nxt is top of the class right now. It will be no different when its warm out vs the current pads if you are trying to stay cool. The sleeping bag is what traps heat, the pad just keeps the cold from coming up to you. Heat management stays the same I think.

I have an older Exped Downmat. It is Nirvana, but heavy. I also have a Thermarest XTherm. It is what I use if I am being weight-conscious.

I like expad as well. On the other hand there is one sold at Murdocks that’s wide and a super comfy but overtly not compact. Super quiet( not crinkly) and comfy material.

Thermarest neoair xlite is the best all around mat. For me it’s a prefect 4 season sleeping pad and prefect for me as a side sleeper. I upgraded last year and the new one it a lot quieter than the older one.

I'm running a Nemo switchback pad because I've had terrible luck with inflatable pads. Finally said the hell with it. I'm using a VI am (6am) 10 degree quilt. Super lite combo and didn't break the bank. I also bought a military surplus bivy if it's looking like it will be really cold it's not terribly heavy to add to pack. I put the pad and the quilt right inside the bivy, works great as the bivy has that heat reflective material and is water resistant. So one setup covers a wide range of conditions. Good luck out there.

I use the kind that doesn't hold air well and is nearly pointless to pack, I'd recommend against that kind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back