Pronghorn Old Buck Taste

Bam Bam

Since moving to WY in 2020, I have eaten 7 pronghorns, and they are excellent table fare. However, my wife nor I have never killed an old buck. If I shoot an old buck this year, am I going to dislike the meat? Do older bucks have tougher meat, or a gamey taste to them?

I don't know that I've ever shot an old antelope but I have shot some from sage flats and 2 that were feeding in alfalfa fields and they were all delicious.
Also here in NV our rifle season is during the rut and I've never noticed any skunkiness like with rutting mule deer bucks.

I don't know that I've ever shot an old antelope but I have shot some from sage flats and 2 that were feeding in alfalfa fields and they were all delicious.
Also here in NV our rifle season is during the rut and I've never noticed any skunkiness like with rutting mule deer bucks.
That was another question that I had, although I usually hunt during the pre-rut. Thanks, Gr8bawana.

I had a younger and older buck from last year. I salt water brined them both before grinding them up. My wife and I couldn't tell you the difference except the date that was on the package.

Fully agree. My NV antelope from last year was on the dinner menu at least twice a week.

Interesting question. Also - what would be considered an old Pronghorn in WY? I really don't have a grasp on how long they live.

Interesting question. Also - what would be considered an old Pronghorn in WY? I really don't have a grasp on how long they live.
I'm not sure what qualifies as old... but some of those bucks have blocky bodies with sagging bellies, and reaaaallly black faces. Those are the ones that look old to me, regardless of horn size.

I mean, the HTLE season in Nevada seems pre-rut to me. I've seen pronghorn do some crazy shit in mid-late September.

Never had one taste anything but great. Get that hide off them and in a cooler ASAP.

Never noticed a difference in taste of meat. While I’ve never had one officially aged I’ve taken a few with very warn molars. All have tasted great. I have seen research suggesting antelope peak in terms of horn growth around 3.5 years. In my experience a 5-6 yo buck is on the older side for antelope . There is one particular older buck that lives around our place I have adult buck pictures of dating back to 2017. That puts him in the 9-10 range. . .

I could tell no difference in taste between a doe fawn and a 3.5 yr old buck that I killed in the same week.

Let me echo what others have said-- it will be delicious if you get it skinned, cooled and on ice as quickly as possible. Had this guy parted out so fast that the muscles were still twitching when he hit the cooler and he turned out fork tender.

Attachments

• Pronghorn Redacted.png
    Pronghorn Redacted.png
    574.6 KB · Views: 6
I was told that antelope meat was terrible tasting when I moved to Montana. Guys that said that were ride around and blow two legs off killers. I’ve killed a few. Does and nice bucks. Every one was stalked and shot. Some I waited for a while to stand up. Sage brush or alfalfa field they all taste the same. Damn good!!!! Region 7 or 5.

Kenetrek Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksoncsalmon
Back