Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Oregon rabbit hemorrhagic disease

I find it interesting that they say it doesn't pose a risk to human health, but then they say do not feed it to people...

I find it interesting that they say it doesn't pose a risk to human health, but then they say do not feed it to people...
I wouldn’t read too much into it. That is basic health and food hygiene 101. Don’t eat things that look sick, are known to have a disease, or you found dead. You will see that recommendation for virtually any disease of wildlife. Just generally not a good idea.

I wonder what we’re going to see in the next decade for our wild rabbit species. This disease is marching across the country at a very rapid clip.

It went thru here a couple years ago and into AZ,CA. Still tons of cottontails here. Hutches empty or now coops.

The falconry world is watching this extremely close. Lagomorphs are large part of quarry for birds like Harris', goshawks, redtails, Ferruginous, and eagles. Montana has had a couple of cases last year. It has been working its way north for a handful of years now. The great thing about rabbits is that they breed like rabbits. Dieoffs will be replaced within a few generations and the new stock will have immunity to the virus. This cycle happens with a regular frequency. No transmission to raptors or humans have been reported, but rabbit-raptor-rabbit is possible from residual on the feet of birds.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oez88
Back