Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Official GOP Platform: Sell America's Public Land

"So, I have to ask, in the context of this platform plank: is the Republican Party anti-hunting?"

why do you have to ask this? it clearly states in the platform, "Also, public access to public lands for recreational activities such as hunting, fishing, and recreational shooting should be permitted on all appropriate federal lands."

pretty sure your question was answered. in the paragraph right above where you pulled your statement from. and that's verbatum from the party platform.

this is more than a one issue election for most.

Ben, can you post the democrats party platform on this issue? just skimmed thru it, and didn't see anything about it from them. maybe you know what I missed. thanks.

Searching for false equivalency?

so, you don't know what it is? good to know you have nothing useful to add. that's why I asked Ben. he will let me know what, if anything, I missed. as I said, more than a one issue election for me.

thanks for playing though.

You don't like my friends. They made you waste too much of your education standing in front of a copier machine producing discovery documents. :D
It's not been determined if it was a "waste" quite yet. Still in the briefing stage. That said, I'm greatly saddened to hear that you are so egalitarian enough to include me in your circle (or square) of friends... :( At least Moosie still likes me...I think! :D

Ben, can you post the democrats party platform on this issue? just skimmed thru it, and didn't see anything about it from them. maybe you know what I missed. thanks.

TO be clear, I didn't write this as a contrast piece between demos and repubs. I wrote this as someone who has voted Republican in the past, and is fairly pissed off that they would put something so blatantly misleading and lacking in truth into a party platform. The reason that we have problems on public lands is because of past attempts to weaken or remove regulation on private industry who does business on public land. Most all of those attempts were spearheaded by the Republican party. I don't really care who you vote for. We're all Americans, and we should all work on these issues together, regardless of what party you assoicate with. I know R's who are much better conservationists than D's and vice-versa. What should be troubling to all of us who hunt and fish is that public lands have now become expendable under the short term gain column of political expediency.

Here's the Democrat's party platform:
http://assets.dstatic.org/dnc-platform/2012-National-Platform.pdf

Environment. Democrats are committed to protecting our natural resources while creating jobs, preserving habitats, and ensuring that future generations can enjoy our nation’s outdoor heritage. From investing in clean energy to protecting our air, land, and water, Democrats have made protecting the environment a top priority. Today we are
responsibly developing our natural resources to create clean energy jobs here at home while encouraging conservation, reducing energy waste, and protecting the environment.
President Obama has taken the most significant strides in decades to cut pollution and advance public health –protecting our children and communities from harmful pollution by restoring and advancing safeguards for clean air and water and by working to reduce carbon pollution. Pollutants like nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, particulate matter,
and mercury are a threat to human health, and Democrats will continue to stand up to polluters in the interest of environmental and public health.

We know that global climate change is one of the biggest threats of this generation – an economic, environmental, and national security catastrophe in the making. We affirm the science of climate change, commit to significantly reducing the pollution that causes climate change, and know we have to meet this challenge by driving smart policies
that lead to greater growth in clean energy generation and result in a range of economic and social benefits. President Obama has been a leader on this issue. We have developed historic fuel efficiency standards that will limit greenhouse gas emissions from our vehicles for the first time in history, made unprecedented investments in clean energy, and proposed the first-ever carbon pollution limits for new fossil-fuel-fired power plants. As we move towards lower carbon emissions, we will continue to support smart, energy efficient manufacturing. Democrats pledge to continue showing international leadership on climate change, working toward an agreement to set emission limits in unison with other emerging powers. Democrats will continue pursuing efforts to combat climate change at home as well, because reducing our emissions domestically – through regulation and market solutions – is necessary to continue being an international leader on this issue. We understand that global climate change may disproportionately affect the poor, and we are committed to environmental justice.

We are restoring treasured landscapes like the Great Lakes, the Florida Everglades, and local wilderness areas. We are working with Gulf Coast states to restore the Gulf and hold BP and other responsible parties accountable. Democrats will continue to work with local communities to conserve our publicly-owned lands and dramatically expand investments in conserving and restoring forests, grasslands, and wetlands across America for generations to come. We will ensure that our National Parks are protected while expanding opportunities for Americans to visit and experience these national treasures. Democrats will continue working to ensure the integrity of the waters Americans rely on every day for drinking, swimming, and fishing, by supporting initiatives that restore our rivers, oceans, coasts, and watersheds. We will preserve landscapes and ecosystems and open more lands and waters for hunting, fishing, and recreation. This will bolster local economies and is good for communities today and for generations to come.

Our opponents have moved so far to the right as to doubt the science of climate change, advocate the selling of our federal lands, and threaten to roll back environmental protections that safeguard public health. Their leaders deny the benefits of the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts – benefits like job creation, health, and the prevention of tens of
thousands of premature deaths each year. They ignore the jobs that are created by promoting outdoor recreation, cleaning up our air, and promoting a healthy environment.

It's not been determined if it was a "waste" quite yet. Still in the briefing stage. That said, I'm greatly saddened to hear that you are so egalitarian enough to include me in your circle (or square) of friends... :( At least Moosie still likes me...I think! :D

I just checked, you aren't one of Moosie's friends.... nor Miller, nor AZ402's, nor Ovis...nor Oak....

thanks for the post Ben. knew if I asked someone who had a clue, would get an intelligent answer.

Ben- if you reply or comment on the comments to the your blog, it'd be appreciated if that info would be posted here as well.

I guess you could call this the Secret Dem Platform. Every aguement can be won if you leave out the facts that you team is already huddling to do the same. Just think what he can do with 4 more years and an economy his own people say will not recover this year, the next or even the year after that. John

Hear ya go Ben, Sorry took so long as I am under the weather! 101 degrees at 56 is a bitch! John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsNz3sGjGr8

I guess you could call this the Secret Dem Platform. Every aguement can be won if you leave out the facts that you team is already huddling to do the same. Just think what he can do with 4 more years and an economy his own people say will not recover this year, the next or even the year after that. John

Hear ya go Ben, Sorry took so long as I am under the weather! 101 degrees at 56 is a bitch! John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsNz3sGjGr8

No worries.

At 4:17, Woodward tells a story about someone saying "can we sell off national parks?" The treasury secretary says, "no, that won't work, it's not enough." Which is true.

It's not really a platform that rewrites the history of public lands and calls for selling off chunks to developers.

Which again is why it's so frustrating to see the Republicans return to a strategy to pay off the national debt that we already know is fiscally irresponsible and doesn't bring us closer to wiping out debt, but will cause a loss of jobs.

Here's the actual statement from the platform:

“Experience has shown that, in caring for the land and water, private ownership has been our best guarantee of conscientious stewardship, while the worst instances of environmental degradation have occurred under government control. By the same token, the most economically advanced countries – those that respect and protect private property rights – also have the strongest environmental protections, because their economic progress makes possible the conservation of natural resources. In this context, Congress should reconsider whether parts of the federal government’s enormous landholdings and control of water in the West could be better used for ranching, mining, or forestry through private ownership. Timber is a renewable natural resource, which provides jobs to thousands of Americans. All efforts should be made to make federal lands managed by the U.S. Forest Service available for harvesting. The enduring truth is that people best protect what they own.”

Tell me how this helps increase the numbers of hunters and anglers, helps small businesses dependent upon the public ownership of wildlife and land, and keeps our air and water clean?

No Ben, That is a BS statement, your calling it light Red and I am calling it Pink. Those were his own words about selling off NF or Park Lands, their only fear was 1. They could not make enough on the sale and 2. They did not have the time to put together a package in time.
Don't Piss down my back and then tell me it's raining. John

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back